AVIC411.com

Central File Location - FTP

Just a suggestion and an offer - anyone interested in me creating a central location for mods? I can set up an FTP folder on a T1 and each person that creates a mod can upload their stuff to their own folder.

This way all the stuff is in one location. Authors can manage their own files as they update their mods. This might cut down on searching for files. People will also know that they have the latest updates.

I have plenty of space and can set it up today just give me the go.

Yes please! Seriously, if you set this up it will go a long way towards making things more organized, and then we can link directly to them in each specific modification thread.

The only thing I would ask is that this be a long term service. If it's going to disappear in 6 months, it's probably not worth the effort to make it happen. If you'll keep it up for a couple of years (the realistic lifespan of the F-Series), then I'm all for it.

well as long as I don't get fired - it will be at this ip address for a long time. If I do get fired then I will just move it to my house. Hell - I am IT at work, even if I do get fired they won't know it's here. They are stoopid!!!

from your browser...

66.59.250.9:8000

login: avic

pass:

from your ftp client software

login: avic

pass:

This is a non-protected FTP site meaning anyone can post and delete files. However I will set up a backup to my home computer in case someone decides to crap on us.

Just create a folder and upload your mods into it.

When accessing the FTP from your browser, you can't manage files. You can only upload or download but not delete and move stuff around.

When accessing the FTP from your client then you can delete and move stuff around.

So start dumping

I tend to agree with the others regarding protecting the files. Really only a few of us should need to have owner rights, to manage files, the rest will just be accessing them for download.

I'm not going to sticky this particular topic because I want to deeply integrate this into the mod posting process. I'll also add it at the top of the FAQ so that it's totally obvious.

I will take away the ability to remove files. So basically one can just upload and download but not destroy or overwrite.

In the thread that identifies the file to down, have a date and time of the read me file. Then when you create the zip - have the read me in the archive and if the time and date of that file does not match the time and date in the thread then we know it does not belong to the author of the thread.

That will eliminate the false posts.

Any other suggestions or a better way to do it?

Since I have the F90BT - I will upload the archive.

OK - these are the new setting for FTP...

Upload, Download, Make Folders.

What has been removed - Delete Folders, Delete/Overwrite Files.

So files should be safe - just place the read me into the ZIP with the date and time of the read me posted in the thread - it should be safe and sane.

I will have the F90BT posted tomorrow.

• 1 month later...