AVIC411.com

SRS light stays on

Hey everyone,
I just installed a Z1 into a 2002 Honda Accord. Everything works fine, but my SRS light stays on and I also have the Check Engine light on too. These weren't there before the installation though. Any ideas of why they're there or what I could do about them.

Also, if my SRS light is on, does that mean the airbags won't deploy at all? I've searched online and I've found that there are specific ways for each type of car to reset the SRS light, but I don't want to just reset the light and not have the airbags functional obviously. Please let me know if any of you have any possible solutions or information. Thanks so much.
[quote name="knicks0819"]Hey everyone,
I just installed a Z1 into a 2002 Honda Accord. Everything works fine, but my SRS light stays on and I also have the Check Engine light on too. These weren't there before the installation though. Any ideas of why they're there or what I could do about them.

Also, if my SRS light is on, does that mean the airbags won't deploy at all? I've searched online and I've found that there are specific ways for each type of car to reset the SRS light, but I don't want to just reset the light and not have the airbags functional obviously. Please let me know if any of you have any possible solutions or information. Thanks so much.[/quote]

You can reset the light and there will be no problem with the airbag. Nissans have a way to do it yourself and I have done it with no problems.

You must of disconnected the Air bag sensor when doing the install.

Trust me reset your self. As for the engine light if that does not go out then get with a Honda forum and see if one has anything to do with the other.

K
[quote name="djoker04"]
K[/quote]

Yea, I probably did disconnect something with the airbag sensor because I pulled out a bunch of plugs from the ECM and other places trying to find the VSS wire and reverse signal (found them eventually). So what you're saying though.. is that the light is on probably because I took out the plug and put it back in and it has nothing to do with a malfunction or anything in the airbags (the car didn't move at all from start to finish of the installation)?
[quote name="knicks0819"] [quote name="djoker04"]
K[/quote]

Yea, I probably did disconnect something with the airbag sensor because I pulled out a bunch of plugs from the ECM and other places trying to find the VSS wire and reverse signal (found them eventually). So what you're saying though.. is that the light is on probably because I took out the plug and put it back in and it has nothing to do with a malfunction or anything in the airbags (the car didn't move at all from start to finish of the installation)?[/quote]

Correct. Just use the reset directions you obtained and like Taco Bell

U'r Good 2 GO!!!

8)
If I were you I would take it into the dealer and have them check it out.

To me, the money it costs to have the check the airbags and make sure everything is ok is worth the peace of mind of knowing that they will work god forbid something happens.

While its most likely that the light went on as a result of something you did during the install, it could just be a coincidence, and something could be wrong with the airbags.

Just my opinion; sometimes I'm overly cautious, but with airbags its best to erre on the side of caution.
If you want I might be able to post up the directions to reset the airbag light tomorrow. Though if something truely is wrong with the system, the light will come right back on. Take a trip to pepboys or autozone. they do free code scanning and can erase the code if it's nothing. The other option is to disconnect the battery for 15 min. I'd do that first before taking it to a stealership. The first thing they'll do is say it's because of the aftermarket equipment and try and hit you with all kinds of fees. Have had that attempted on me a couple times the best was a recall on the 350z's alternator. The dealer say the new radio basically blew up the alternator and half the car's electrical system.
i'm going to disconnect the battery for a while and see if that works when i get a chance later on this week.. i highly doubt that anything is wrong with the airbag because i didn't move the car at all during the installation and i pulled out a bunch of connectors so i'm sure one of them must have been the airbag one.. plus it should come right back on (like someone said in here) if something really is wrong after the battery disconnect.. thanks for all your help guys
  • 2 months later...
This should reset your airbag light without a trip to the dealer. Works on most nissans.

1) Open the driver's side door.
2) Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start the vehicle)
3) Within 7 seconds of turning the key to ON, push the driver's side door switch button at least 5 times.
4) The Air Bag light should go solid...give it at least 7 seconds, and it should begin to blink a 3 second, 2 second on/off pattern.
5) Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
6) Start vehicle, and wait for the Air Bag light to turn off to verify that it worked.