AVIC411.com

Dust on the Screen

Are you serious? Where do you live? I've not had any problems day or night with dust on my Z1. Fingerprint smudges are another story, but that is something I just need to take care of once a week with a quick 10 second wipe with an eyeglass cloth across the screen. Do you park outside a lot? With the windows and top down or sunroof open?
[quote name="rapayn1"]Not trying to be a smartass, but since you said you drive with the windows down a lot, perhaps a solution is to drive with the windows up. Do you have A/C in your ride?[/quote]

lol, if you have a $2000 nav unit and no AC you probably need to revise your priorities ...

I can live without my AVIC Z1(hardly) but I can't without AC... lololololol
[quote name="jimmy303"]Try using an anti-static cloth for cleaning eyeglass lenses.[/quote]

Best answer, and not asinine like some of the other ones. You can purchase them at most electronic stores or a photographic store, and they do work pretty good. If dust builds up too much, you can use on of those car Swifter things, then wipe down with the anti-static cloth.

(Really a shame, when someone asks a legitimate question and most of the replies are asinine. I have a Vette, Jeep and a Hummer, and I drive with the air off 90 percent of the time. Does not mean I can't afford it, it means I prefer the windows open...it's called fresh air.)
[quote name="hummer_h3"] [quote name="jimmy303"]Try using an anti-static cloth for cleaning eyeglass lenses.[/quote]

Best answer, and not asinine like some of the other ones. You can purchase them at most electronic stores or a photographic store, and they do work pretty good. If dust builds up too much, you can use on of those car Swifter things, then wipe down with the anti-static cloth.

(Really a shame, when someone asks a legitimate question and most of the replies are asinine. I have a Vette, Jeep and a Hummer, and I drive with the air off 90 percent of the time. Does not mean I can't afford it, it means I prefer the windows open...it's called fresh air.)[/quote]

H3 -

Couldn't agree more, well said...
Hummer_h3,

What is asinine is that people assume an answer to be asinine. If a mug joins the forum on July 12, 2006, and on October 9, 2006, his second, of only two, post asks the question how did people, "smarter" than him (his words and not mine), figure out how to keep dust from building up on the Z1 screen, then asking if he has the windows up or down, and if he has A/C or not, are valid questions and not asinine. I thought Fanito's reply was funny and not asinine. I even took it as directed towards me and not phatmonkey. However, I saw the non mean-spirited comedy in what Fanito said. Dust is dirt. There is a lot of dirt outside (sort of why clean rooms are enclosed). Driving a car down the road in Lexington, Kentucky or anywhere else for that matter will expose you, your car and your AVIC-Z1 to dust (windows up or down). You will get more if you have the windows down. Skin shedding off of you forearms and dandruff from your head will also create dust in the car that can then get on your Z1 screen. The air vents will blow dust around. My point in all of this is that the question was almost a rhetorical question. There is nothing that will keep dust from building up. Anti-static cloths can help, but they do not STOP dust from building up. It may SLOW down the dust from building up. Why not suggest that he carry around a case of canned compressed air to blow the dust off of the screen every minute? If someone gets online and claims that he dusts his Z1 screen and then a minute later it is all dusty again (to the point where he can hardly see the screen in the daytime), I feel it is fair of me to ask if he is serious. 1-minute (60-seconds) later seems excessive and would cause me to ask if the windows are down and so on, and so on. I digress ... go get a eyeglass cloth, wipe your screen and enjoy the fresh Kentucky air. :D
Rapayn1: Holy cow, no need to get so defensive. Since you quoted me i figured i would quote myself too. I said..."It [b]seems[/b] like i can dust it, and then 1 minute later it is all dusty again"

When a legitimate question is asked about keeping dust off the screen, and the answer that is given is..."Not trying to be a smartass..." your best bet is to keep your brilliant post to yourself. It just shows a lack of maturity.

H3: Thanks, I'll pick up some of those. I hadn't thought of anti-static wipes. And i do love to drive with the windows down...even though i have A/C. I have a 2006 Scion xA.
Well, gee, consider me matured then. :D However, as it seems some here feel they know my intentions, let me leave those with this ... could it be that I really wasn't trying to be a "smartass" and knew that asking about the windows COULD actually come across as sounding like I was making a wisecrack? Therefore, I wanted to assure those that the question was sincere and valid. However, it doesn't matter, since apparently I'm defensive, and a smartass afterall, and asinine too. Can I get a bid on sarcastic and ultimately don't even care anymore? :? Again, enjoy your ride, the windows down, Kentucky's fresh air, and continued dust on your Z1 screen. Let me buy some stock in anti-static wipes. Looks like a lot of those are about to be purchased down in Kentucky. There will be no more replies to this from me, so flame away. I'm taking the high road after this post and moving on with my life. I wasted too much time of it on this thread. Much love to H3 and phatmonkey. In a sensitive PC world let's all still learn to laugh when something is or can be funny.