AVIC411.com

F-Series 3.0 update coming? Wondering what's in it...

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at least we might have the option of sharing the map updates since

we have our maps saved to a hard drive

i work for a car dealership and the factory gps units have a second cd slot

just for the map cd and you need to have the map cd in the unit to have use of the maps

the cds cost us about $250 and the most current maps we can get are about 4 years old

just my 2 cents

:shock:

...OK... and Pioneer could easily stop all support for their F-series and release new hardware instead! They have *NO* obligation to keep releasing firmware updates for the current series, despite what you may believe. There is nothing - no where - in their literature or sales brochures that states that they will keep releasing updates to us - at no charge - for the current hardware...

My advice is to be thankful that you are getting free updates - since the initial release - that improves the product's performance. It amazes me still that people think that they are "owed" free updates to products at any given time. Rewind 10 years - do you remember a period when such a concept was even conceivable???

I could care less if they charge a fee for an improvement in features. I expect to have to pay for a map data-base update due to licensing fees. If the firmware/OS update comes with it, then double bonus.

What's the big deal? Since firmware 2.0 the F-series performs admirably. For the money ($500-$600) it's a mega-bargain. That's how I feel anyway..

What's the big deal? Since firmware 2.0 the F-series performs admirably. For the money ($500-$600) it's a mega-bargain. That's how I feel anyway..

Admirably? Really? No offense, but I call that settling... my D3 always did what it was supposed to do with no delayed response. Granted it did not have VR, but I never had to wait 7-8 minutes into driving before being able to use a 'feature' it came with. Also, that 'feature' is based on Microsoft's Sync... I wonder if folks that drive Fords have to wait that long once they crank their car to use it... I highly doubt it. I wonder if when they hang up their phones while using bluetooth if the whole system hangs and then you have to sometimes reboot the unit to get music back. I wonder if they have to unplug their iPod when the system simply decides it does not like it this go around. My F90BT lasted about 6 months before I just could not take it anymore... since I am being honest, the VR function was GREAT when it worked correctly, but that is not enough for me. I don't miss that unit at all and I've been left with a very sour taste in my mouth for Pioneer for releasing such a POS for us to beta test for them.

For those with the unit, I certainly root for all of you that they do release a 3.0 update. There are a lot of great people on this board that were a great help when I owned my unit; I think it is only fair that Pioneer fix the problems and continue to support this unit that people paid A LOT of money for... keep in mind, you could not always get them for $600.

That's how I feel...

I must have received an exceptional unit, because the only problem you state that I experience is the iPod. 20-40 seconds in the ride, I am at full function, no hangs with bluetooth, simply put, it is a great unit. I don't use the ipod much, but usually a couple of starts after doing a hack I have the disconnect problem, then after that it works fine. btw, I have a 90bt. There is no way I would spend $2K on an aftrermarket unit such as Kenwood. Even if I had these problems, a $1500 savings in comparison would be worth it.

i agree

i haven't had a single problem with my unit

i start my car and it is fully functional before i get to the stop sign at the end of the block

about 30 sec

and if i am listening to the radio it starts working with in 10 sec

the sd card does take up to a min or so but i can live with that

i dont use a ipod so i dont know about any probs with it

and i would rather pay 500 for my unit and be able to customize it with all the mods on this site

then pay 2000 for the kenwood the guy at the stereo shop tried talking me into

paying for maps is to be expected no matter whos gps you use

and if these units are as faulty as everyone says they are why should pioneer keep spending money to fix them when they could work on developing a new one

...OK... and Pioneer could easily stop all support for their F-series and release new hardware instead! They have *NO* obligation to keep releasing firmware updates for the current series, despite what you may believe. There is nothing - no where - in their literature or sales brochures that states that they will keep releasing updates to us - at no charge - for the current hardware...

True, but that would be contrary to what Pioneer has done since the inception of the AVIC line. The software that came on all new models in the N, D, and Z line were easily installed into the previous models. It would be the exception rather than the rule for Pioneer to just do a 180 now and not allow this. I feel very strongly that when the new F units come out their software will be very easy to install in the current line, like it has been all the way back to the N1. Of course there are no guarantees, but I would be shocked if the new software is incompatible with the current line.

It's amazing that my 3 year old D1 since I installed the 80 update (it came with 50 discs) and reclabrated the screen it runs much better than it did out of the box. Much faster boot up and menu response. I'm almost sad to see it go when my 90BT gets installed next week, but I really want those new features!

Admirably? Really? No offense, but I call that settling... my D3 always did what it was supposed to do with no delayed response. Granted it did not have VR, but I never had to wait 7-8 minutes into driving before being able to use a 'feature' it came with. Also, that 'feature' is based on Microsoft's Sync... I wonder if folks that drive Fords have to wait that long once they crank their car to use it... I highly doubt it. I wonder if when they hang up their phones while using bluetooth if the whole system hangs and then you have to sometimes reboot the unit to get music back. I wonder if they have to unplug their iPod when the system simply decides it does not like it this go around. My F90BT lasted about 6 months before I just could not take it anymore... since I am being honest, the VR function was GREAT when it worked correctly, but that is not enough for me. I don't miss that unit at all and I've been left with a very sour taste in my mouth for Pioneer for releasing such a POS for us to beta test for them.

For those with the unit, I certainly root for all of you that they do release a 3.0 update. There are a lot of great people on this board that were a great help when I owned my unit; I think it is only fair that Pioneer fix the problems and continue to support this unit that people paid A LOT of money for... keep in mind, you could not always get them for $600.

That's how I feel...

I agree with the two posters above - it sounds like you got a bum unit. I'm up and playing from my iPod in a little over 20 seconds, have ZERO problems with Bluetooth, and only had to do a hard reset once since September 2009 when my GPS lost signal with the sats.

7-8 minutes sounds like you either have a bum unit or screwed the firmware update up. Can you exchange your unit from the retailer you bought it from?

My advice is to be thankful that you are getting free updates - since the initial release - that improves the product's performance. It amazes me still that people think that they are "owed" free updates to products at any given time. Rewind 10 years - do you remember a period when such a concept was even conceivable???

I could care less if they charge a fee for an improvement in features. I expect to have to pay for a map data-base update due to licensing fees. If the firmware/OS update comes with it, then double bonus.

True Pioneer can just stop providing updates and release a new F series. How would that go over with all their current customers owning the current F-series and knowing that they were left in the dark by Pioneer? Not to well. Every manufacture including Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse etc provide support for their products, so it doesn't matter what happened 10-20 yrs back weather or not they offered updates, the fact is they didn't have the technology to do so and we the users didn't have a way to accept the update other than shipping back a product so your comparing apples to oranges. Like I state above all other manufactures provide product updates to keep their customers happy and returning. The problem is not that we are not willing to pay for an update, the issue at hand is that Pioneer released a product that was not ready for market, so they attempted to correct it by releasing update 2.0, however that has not fixed all the problems in the F series line. I am very happy that some of you haven't had any major issues but that doesn't mean you wont in the near future. If it does happen do you really want to pay for a fix that should have been part of the unit in the first place?

We are not talking about Map data update... everyone knows that we have to pay for the Map updates, that's two different things.

True Pioneer can just stop providing updates and release a new F series. How would that go over with all their current customers owning the current F-series and knowing that they were left in the dark by Pioneer? Not to well. Every manufacture including Kenwood, Alpine, Eclipse etc provide support for their products, so it doesn't matter what happened 10-20 yrs back weather or not they offered updates, the fact is they didn't have the technology to do so and we the users didn't have a way to accept the update other than shipping back a product so your comparing apples to oranges. Like I state above all other manufactures provide product updates to keep their customers happy and returning. The problem is not that we are not willing to pay for an update, the issue at hand is that Pioneer released a product that was not ready for market, so they attempted to correct it by releasing update 2.0, however that has not fixed all the problems in the F series line. I am very happy that some of you haven't had any major issues but that doesn't mean you wont in the near future. If it does happen do you really want to pay for a fix that should have been part of the unit in the first place?

We are not talking about Map data update... everyone knows that we have to pay for the Map updates, that's two different things.

I think you're missing my point - the fact that the tech didn't exist 10-20 years ago isn't what I'm talking about. I'm eluding to the typical 'net attitude towards free software updates. In it's current form - that is the 2.0 Firmware - the F-series performs well. Start-up time for core features is acceptable, stability is fine, and it generally works as advertised. If you're having issues (like the ones that wonderdiva mentioned), you probably have defective hardware that should have been returned or exchanged under warranty. The vast majority of users do not experience these issues.

For people - and it would appear yourself included - to feel as though you are owed a free software update to further enhance performance - I just think that's preposterous. Where in any of the advertising or literature does it say that if you buy any of their F-series products that you will continue to get free updates?

It doesn't.

So why would you think that you are owed them? And no - I'm not talking about map updates... I'm talking about OS/feature updates? And every year there's a hardware re-fresh, usually with new or enhanced features. That's what keeps moving the products along. Am I supposed to complain that I'm being slighted just because I bought last year's models and didn't get the new hardware features for free?!!

Don't get me wrong - the F-series in Firmware 1.0 was practically a beta test and not worth the money. The update that came out shortly thereafter made it more bearable but still not quite what one would expect - I know I wasn't satisfied. So finally at the end of 2008 we get 2.0 and it feels like an actual release-worthy product. I'm pretty happy with it. So are most users.

Do we want more? YES! Should we expect it to be free? NO. Can we hope that it is free? YES!

I have a 700 and a 90. If I buy the update, do you think I will be able to install it on both of them?

I have no idea what their licensing restrictions will be for the update. Honestly, it hasn't even been proven that there will be a charge for any Firmware/OS updates, just the map update. Most of this is speculation (although according to what my friend told me - the guy mentioned in my OP that manages a high-end car audio shop - he expects there to be a charge).

Be patient; all should be revealed over the next 2 months or so. I think. :mrgreen: