AVIC411.com

Back Up Camera Question

I should know this since i installed Car Audio for about 7 years but i dont. In the past when i hooked up Back Up cameras i hooked up the red wire to the 12v source at the back up light when in reverse and ground the black and run your video wire to to a Rear Camera out on the deck but with the F series i run the purple wire to the back up light wire that triggers 12v while in reverse correct but do i still connect the red wire from the camera to the back up wire on the car also or just hook it up to switched power with the key... Any insight will help.. Kevin

The purple wire from the unit that taps into the reverse wire simply tells the unit to switch to rear camera view when in reverse gear. Which wire you tap into for the camera's power source depends on whether or not you want the camera to always be powered on, or only powered-on while in reverse. Since the F-series allows you to switch to rear-view mode manually, it's nice to have the camera hooked to a constant power source, that way you can view what's behind you without actually being in reverse gear.

• 1 month later...
I have a similar problem my question is where at the back of the car can I find a power source that is always on or do I have to run a wire front the front of the car?

This will depend upon your vehicle. Some vehicles have fuse panels, cig lighters, and/or other electronics near the rear. Others won't have anything except the taillights. You will have to look to see if you have any power sources back there. In my last car I tapped the wire for the power antenna.

A probe tester would be handy to check for this. You can get a tester for about $10 at any auto or hardware store.

Be sure though that you pick a power source that is only supplying power when the ignition is turned on, otherwise the camera could drain your battery.

Good luck!

(PS - if you post your vehicle model and year, there is a chance someone else on this forum with the same model could offer assistance)

if you only want the camera to come on when in reverse, you can just tap into the pos and neg wires right at the reverse light itself since most camera's dont use much power at all (compaired to a incandescent bulb) however if your car has circuitry that detects a burnt out bulb you might not want to do this. i personally would run a fused power wire back to the camera and use a relay to turn on the camera, then you will need to find out if your reverse light are pos or neg trigger and set the relay up accordly, or if you want to be able to use the camera at any time just use the acc wire from the car harness