AVIC411.com

1997 BMW 528I & Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Install

Hi All!

I have finally completed the installation of my Pioneer AVIC-Z3 within 1997 BMW 528i.

It took about a week to install, due to constant cold weather and no available install bay, my friend (Kris) and I worked on it, and definitely he deserves 95% of the credit, and myself, 5% (for correcting his common-sense mistakes during the install ... :)) Let's face it, when you working on this car, around 2 or 3 am in the early morning hours, the brain just doesn't work.

So, I complied a video, step-by-step of the installation process, from start (previous head unit removal) to the end. The only part that is left, is the cut-off and installation of the center wood trim, along side with a blue strip LED, which we will be completing in the next week or so.

The video is about 20 minutes long. So, there is lot of goodies for all to see!

Of course, I couldn't have done this without the help from several members of the BimmerFest forum, including: gumbi4u (for providing me with double-din installation consideration), POof540i (for providing some guidelines for sound system considerations), sidneyj, velvetMonkey, five.two.five (for locating the speed sensor wiring)

Also, I want say Thanks! :) to some members from AVIC411.com, for providing information and guidelines on the AVIC-Z3. They are: Twin Que, garrettoomey. Garrett provided with the 60GB upgrade HDD drive for Z3 unit, which works perfectly well, and no troubles at all. No overheating, No shutdown. No repeated boots, etc. All the annoying problems from Pioneer stuff.

& More importantly, my friend, Kris, who is a excellent custom installer, specializes anything from Car Audio / Video, to custom wood work, custom lightning, custom fish tanks, custom house work, --> pretty much anything that can be used with a machine tool, he's good with.

He runs his own business, Practical Innovations Inc. which is basically, what I described above. What I really like about his install, is that he takes his time, does it properly and most importantly, very , very clean precise install.

So, enjoy the video! :) Post comments after, ask questions, and I'll happy to help answer then for you.

By the way, I couldn't use YouTube, since it limits movie time to 10 Minutes, and I hate separating videos. So, I am going to provide a link to Veoh's Video, as below:

Enjoy! :)

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 27erSafTqb

P.S. Video will be available within the next few hours. Veoh takes a while to upload it to their servers.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures of the equipments & install:

ND_BT1_3.jpg

AVIC_Z3_EQUIPMENTS_3.jpg

AVIC_Z3_RETAIL_BOX_1.jpg

AVIC_Z3_UNIT_1.jpg

FACE_PLATE_1.jpg

FACE_PLATE_2.jpg

FACE_PLATE_4.jpg

FACE_PLATE_WITH_AVIC_Z3_UNIT_1.jpg

FACE_PLATE_WITH_AVIC_Z3_UNIT_2.jpg

FACE_PLATE_WITH_AVIC_Z3_UNIT_4.jpg

• 2 months later...