AVIC411.com

I had this problem happen as well. It all seemed to be fine at first, and I actually just drove home and it was fine again. However, earlier tonight I was driving to a friend's with the GPS on, and the GPS voice kept popping up to give instructions and then my music started skipping to the next track.

I just checked my music files, and the album that was skipping was recorded in VBR. I'm going to listen to another album tomorrow that's VBR as well, and then a couple of static-rate files and see if that's the problem. That was my initial guess, that the player has difficulty with VBR files.

You guys might check that as well. Let me know what you get.

In case you don't know, VBR is Variable Bit Rate which is a type of MP3-encoding that varies the bitrate through the song to achieve the best quality and the smallest file size. Instead of having a flat bit rate like 128, 256, or 320.

So start playing some VBR albums if you have them, and then play some non-VBR albums.

Believe it or not, artists still release music in a collection known as an album. :?

Here's some screenshots to show the difference between VBR and non-VBR albums. The VBR album has bitrates between 192kbps to 320kpbs listed even though they are all from the same source, while the SBR album's tracks all have 320kpbs flat.

I'm going to go test now to see if only the VBR files are the ones skipping. If so, all we'll have to do is recode them to SBR and then no more skipping songs!

• 2 weeks later...