AVIC411.com

What are the top 3 mods you would suggest I do??

Hey guys I am about to get the f900bt and I am not too savvy on this subject however my friend used to work in the car audio department at circuit city (obviously not anymore) and is going to install this unit for me. I was wondering what are the 3 most popular mods you would suggest I do when I install the unit. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
Dim the display when the dark color scheme is activated. My daytime brightness is too bright for night use, even with the color scheme changing to a nighttime scheme, and vice versa.

Don't you have it tapped into your dimmer wire? I use 10 with no lights on, 0 with lights on, works wonders.

As far as the OP's question, There's one great mod, the Cmh928 mod, you don't need any others, it's so easy a caveman can do it(although a caveman would skip backing up his system first, so make sure you backup)

Yea I see CMH has gotten great reviews but I won't be installing my unit until wednesday so I don;t even understand what his mods actually do lol.. Hopefully il understand more after my f90bt is installed.

There were a few key features for me.

3d buildings (depending on your area, these may be sparse, but here in San Jose there are quite a few)

Tilt angle - The default tilt max won't let you see the horizon, now I can see the mountains in the distance(and they are correct)

Redlight and speed cams - There are a few around here, and this help me remember to not be a jackass.

Easy way to mute voice guidance - On long trips the nav can be a bit chatty, and if there's 100 miles to continue on the highway, I get annoyed with it telling me to continue straight.

It adds tons of themes.

And there's so much more.

Most of the stuff in his mod can be found separately, but can be a bit tedious to install one by one. The best part of his mod is it's ease of install. With his mod; you copy the files to your SD card, insert it into the system, turn it on and wait a few minutes for the files to copy, remove the SD card, reboot the unit, and you're done. (PLEASE make sure to back up first)

Personally there are a few too many buttons to me making the interface look a bit cluttered, but I'll be tweaking those myself to get it how I like it. Also his clock is a bit small and ugly to me so I'll probably be moving that as well.

Personally, I like things retaining most of their stock functionality. Unfortunately, the F-Series guys from Pioneer must smoke weed regularly, which is why we're all here on this message board. I did the following (in order of importance) to mine with the help of a few people on this board:

1. Bypass. This one's a no-brainer - without it, you can't even change your route without pulling over.

2. Instead of removing the sounds, I just edited the files to be quieter. In my opinion, this is MUCH better than having no feedback at all on a unit that tends to be a little slow. I need to know if it thinks I pressed the button or not. Now they all still play, but they're not obnoxiously loud.

3. Removed the clock altogether. My car has one 4 inches above my display; I don't think I need another one.

4. Removed the scale. Why on earth do I need a scale? Does anybody actually use this thing?

5. Swapped the positions of the Route Info and the Compass. The "Route Info" box gets covered by the bluetooth call popup - and I'm always asked "When will you be here?"

6. Compass mod. When tapping the compass (when being routed) it will cancel your route.

...I may still move some of the buttons around and put a button to mute the nav voice, but I think I'll leave the rest alone. Here's the results:

If CMH's mod doesn't do it, absolute, positively #1:

Remove the beeps from pushing buttons.

Sanity > ALL

#2 - bypass

#3 - CMH

The software bypass is already done on mine. just ground the P. Brake wire and you're set. No need to risk bending pins on the hardware mod.

The system beeps are greatly subdued on my mod. They are under the music rather than "in your face." The exception is the speedcam alert beep which is intentionally blaring, but fully defeatable/controllable. It is that way so if you miss the polite voice saying you are approaching radar, you can't miss the beeps even if the music is up.

As the other poster said, my car has a great clock right in front of my nose. I would've lost the clock altogether in my mod other than I made some dead space in the corner for it and made it bring up traffic info on push. Pressing the compass calls up the Road List while in-route for easy detours.

There are already a ton of colorschemes and a modded GUGA menu theme included in my all-in-one.

There are no newer maps in my mod. Download size would be a problem as well as copyrights. My unit came with 4.2008 maps on it and newer US maps are almost impossible to find.