AVIC411.com

Cool info, so maybe there is more to the standard camera offered... How is the night vision on the recommended one??? Is it worth the extra $$$, I'm guess for me it wouldn't be... but are there any sugesstions?

From those that bought the recommended one, if you had to do it again would you go with a $40 ebay one??? And ultimately I should just buy it and try it, for $40 you can't go wrong... (arguing and answering my own questions! :roll: )
I had a night vision camera on another car, and I found that it was difficult to use. When you had a car behind you, the headlights tended to be overly bright (at least you knew there was a car behind) and overwhelmed everything else. When you were backing up, the infra-red leds were so close to the camera, that they bocked some of the picture (kind of like shinning a flashlight indirectly at camera at night). I always thought that it would have been better having the night-vision without the leds, as the car's backup lights were probably bright enough.
Okay, I just purchased the camera in my previous post, then remembered to check the method of wiring this thing up to the Z1.... THe video cable is self-explanatory, but how about the following pic ...

Do I have this correct? The yellow video cable will plug directly into the RCA plug at the back of the Z1. Then, what do we do to make this power part work??? See the Ebay camera pic...

Thanks again.
I'm guessing that the cable attached to the camera is around 1' long (mine was). Which means you should have a second cable that is something like 18' long. One end has the reverse of what you see (so it can plug into the camera). The other end should have an RCA jack (for the video) and two wires to connect to a 12V power source (might want to use the amp wire) and ground. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to say in the description.

If it doesn't have a wire, you should be able to get a connector from an electronic store like Radio Shack. Just make sure that the connector fits snugly. Also, check your documentation to find out where the +ve and -ve poles are.

If you can't get a connector, then your final option, I think, would be to snip the connector off, and hope that the wire underneath is color-coded (correctly). Forget about returning it if it's defective, tho'. Definitely the worst of the three options.
  • 4 weeks later...
alright, well I has having the same proble as the thread starter and another guy in this thread... the image was shaking and was all dark

i took it to pioneer, and in 3 weeks, I got it back. They repaired my unit, they didn't replace it

anyway, the reverse camera input is working perfectly now, except now I have no sound! Nothing fom the library/cd/ipod, not even the navi voice

i'm calling in again and i'm gonna try and get a new unit...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name="Myy06"]Hello everyone, I`m a bit worried about trying the ebay cameras... I see this one available, anyone have any comments on this one here?
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-120-deg-Waterproof-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Cam_W0QQitemZ220071804826QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Angle-120-deg- ... dZViewItem[/url]

Next I asks to list whether we need PAL or NTSC, which one do we use here in the US?

thanks!
LM[/quote]

Did you ever buy that backup camera? I have the same one. I'm having problems with the picture after changing the camera to another vehicle. The color keeps fading in/out to black and white. Not sure if it's the camera or the Z1 HU like some are having problems with.