AVIC411.com

Best SD card to buy for use wit AVIC?

Yes the higher the class the faster transfer speeds the cards have.

But don't our units only support up to 8gig SD cards? And unfortunately only 2gig USB flash drives??

That's what it says on the manual but it actually support more than 8 gb sd cards. I also used my 8gb usb stick just fine, although videos are choppy with usb stick using TCPMP. I recommend class 6 sd card for videos.

Video quality or choppiness has far less to do with the media it's on and much more to do with the format/codec/bitrate. If you read the manual, it has specifications for optimal video format: 640x480 MP4 @ 24fps & 480kbps, and in my experience AAC audio has given the best results. Stereo, anywhere from ~60-90kbps sounds pretty good.

And they'll play just fine off of any USB flash drive.

I currently use a 16GB SDHC card and 1GB USB flash drive. As long as I keep folder count low (and avoid nested folders) the SD card doesn't take too long to mount.

As the title says. Whats the best and fastest card I can buy to use for hacking my system? :)

For modding, you can't beat the Sandisk SD plus with built in usb. Seriously, it doesn't get any easier. It's really impossible to be any easier than this. I can't stress how easy this card makes things. I have the 512mb and I haven't needing anything bigger for just transferring files to and from.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDS ... B00083XXOE

If you want to load up and watch movies, that's different, but for modding, I highly recommend the SD Plus.

I've tried watching a few movies from serveral usb sticks with TCPMP but it skips every few minutes. After moving the movies to my 16gb sd, the skipping stops. Media does make a difference, maybe not on a computer but it does on the Fseries. BTW don't use avic's movie player, use coreplayer/tcpmp.

Even with a class 6, the avic doesn't read anywhere near that fast, so speed is not that important. I got a cheapy kingston 16GB class 4 for $20 and it works great, as does my 32GB OCZ thumb drive which was $40.

As was said, with the F series the video processing is pretty sad. Either use movies with relatively low bandwidth on a flash drive/SD or put it on a DiVX encoded movies on a data dvd. I assume the DVD player uses a separate video subsystem as movies with the same bitrate play flawlessly through the DVD, but not so good even on my thumb drive(which is one of the faster ones out there)