AVIC411.com

F90BT install in a VW 2003 Jetta

Hi experts !

I am looking to purchase and install a AVIC-F90BT in my 2003 Jetta now that my factory stereo bit the big one. I have the double DIN unit power by the Monsoon AMP. I have been reading around for a couple weeks now, and looking at systems and I think I have decided I am going to buy the F90BT...I must admit I am getting confused and worries as I read more about the complexities of the antenna adapters, steering wheel control adapter, parking break wire modifcations, Monsoon amp problems, workarounds...etc. I have installed "normal" stereos in the past without much trouble but this nav unit seems to add a whole layer of complexity to it!

I emailed a local shop and they quoted me $125 for the wiring harness adapter :shock: $16 for a dash kit, $12 for the antenna adapter and $125 in labor. I have looked around numerous sites and found wiring harness adapters ranging from $15 to $100 bucks...what gives? Has anyone with a VW 2002-2005 done this, and which harness did you use? Does the Monsoon sound system throw any wrenches into this, or does the adapter take care of that piece too? Does this unit allow you to control a sub if I added one down the road?

Sorry for all the questions...I would like to tackle this myself, I don't feel like shelling out 280 additional bucks to have the local shop put this thing in when I buy it. I dont have problems getting in there and messing aroud, I already pulled my dead stereo out :) What I want...

1. A fully functional unit, changing the nav settings on the road without have to park! all the sensors and nav stuff working as intended.

2. The ability to add a small subwoofer in the future, I assume I would need a small amp for to power this.

3. Steering wheel volume up and down to work, would be a plus to have the up and down changer buttons work but not a must

4. The microphone and GPS antenna placed somewhere that isn't horrible ugly (suggestions?)

5. A "nice" sounding stereo, but not super loud or amazing or anything. I figured the stock speakers will suit my needs, but not sure I may replace them if they dont.

i guess i could help u out with couple of your questions:

This unit is a great set and if u got it installed professionally (which is what i would recommend) would be worth it and fully funtional as it should be. I got mine installed @ besbbuy/geek and they got it all done within an hour half and i am happy. They hooked my backup camera, bluetooth microphone right above my rear-view mirror (which is barely noticable). Whereas, placing the GPS antena i chose to get it installed inside the car by the front right corner windshield of the passenger side. It is recommended to stick it outside for a better reception but i dont see any differences than making it look tacky and more noticeable that i might have a unit in the car. Whereas, subwoofers there are def wiring/harness and extension etc included in the box, so you should be fine with that but i don't know much in detail to that -since i'm not that big fan of loud music since my factory one is awesome enough and i just changed the sound setting to super bass/powerful on the F90 which makes it sound like i got a system in it.

At the end since you need all the wiring installed correctly to your car, steering and what not, just get it professionally installed and bestbuy backups their installation and removes them for free if u decide to remove it down the line.

I just installed an Eclipse in my wife's 04 Jetta with Monsoon. All in all it was straight forward. I used the PAC adapters, Metra antenna adapter, and the Pioneer cage. I ran the accessory power The only reason that I used the PAC stuff is to retain the steering wheel controls and to get the VSS. They claim that using the adapter gives you the ability to get acc power and illumination. I have not been able to get that piece to work. I ran the accessory wire from the far left bolt under the bottom dash cover on the driver side. I tapped a wire behind the light switch for illumination. I ran the GPS antenna on the driver side, and have it in the corner of the windshield. The mic can easily be ran up the A pillar. I had to cut out the black cage that held the factory deck to make room behind the stereo. Hope this helps. PS, I got all the parts from:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... TA_03.html

• 2 weeks later...

jetta's are very easy, there is nothing extra that you will need to do to intergrate the monsoon system, just hook up the harness like mormal, i almost always use the amped antenna adapter with VW's because they are the same price, and the amp wont hurt the reception, get the PAC SWI-PS for your steering wheel controls, and make sure that you order the double din mounting kit (sorry, the model # is escaping me right now) since you dont have any mounting brackets to take off your factory radio and the AVIC doesnt come with the kit, the parking brake bypass is very easy to do as there are threads with step by steps with pictures, and if there is not ACC at the radio harness, it is very easy to get as BARTSITARSKI said