AVIC411.com

Thoughts on D2 over N1...

I recently replaced my N1 (with upgraded N3 software) for the D2 b/c the price was too good to pass up. Overall impressions, I like the D2 much better. Even though the N1 was upgraded with the same maps/software as the D2, the D2 menu loads up much faster. Also, the D2 has that oem factory look where it sits nice and flush. And for some reason, my N1 would always act buggy when the car initially started. It would take 2 mins to fully connect because I'd end up driving through a golf course... but it'd eventually correct itself after 2 mins.

Also, whenever making a U-turn, the N1 would lose tracking for a moment or two. I know the N1 was installed properly (reverse wire was hooked up) but I still had this issue. Maybe it was just something that had to be worked out through later models.

And lastly, I never utilized the dvd function on the N1, but that was the only reason I bought the flip-out unit. Not having to swap cds, bugs worked out on later model, oem look, all make the D2 better in my opinion.
My N1. No flaws, works the way it's supposed to. Never loses satellite signal. I opted for the N1, because my BMW is only a measly single din.

My brother's D2: screen seems to be a bit more sensitive. The screen-picture however, doesn't seem to be as clear as the N1.

I can't stand how the volume switch is a button and not a knob on the D2.

More to come later, just installed his D2 last night.
[quote name="Termist"]My N1. No flaws, works the way it's supposed to. Never loses satellite signal. I opted for the N1, because my BMW is only a measly single din.

My brother's D2: screen seems to be a bit more sensitive. The screen-picture however, doesn't seem to be as clear as the N1.

I can't stand how the volume switch is a button and not a knob on the D2.

More to come later, just installed his D2 last night.[/quote]

thats right... my friend has an e46 m3 and had no choice to get the n1. you get used to having all the buttons on the side, and the knob isn't an issue for me. but i do feel like the d2's screen is more sensitive. i recall on the n1, i had to push down harder, and if i touched an area of the map, it wouldn't focus ont hat specific area but it'd always be a bit off.

but i still stand by my statement that even when i ugpraded the n1 to n3 software, the menu loads much slower compared to the d2. and the d2 screen seems more vibrant. i dont recall if the n1 had a picture adjustment function...
I think the N1 it does have a contrast/brightness(never use it so I don't know). I've updated to the N3 software as well. The loading time seems to be unaffected? Not too sure, since I rarely pop the screen up. I think it's somewhat tacky. I only use the navi when I NEED to use it.

The D2's picture quality is more vibrant, I do agree. But in terms of clarity, watching DVDs, and viewing the map the N1 is clearer.