AVIC411.com

Downloading pics to Z-1

It was only 2 days. I'm on a lincoln forum where you are lucky to get a responce within a week.

I didn't know what you were doing wrong or I would have chimed in with some info, but I didn't know what you were doing. I burned 2 disks and followed the instructions in the manual and they both worked. So I don't know what would have caused an unreadable error.

Now that you have it would you like to share what it was that you were doing wrong so that people who will make the same mistake will know. The only way to make the forum better is for people to share there knowledge. I didn't have anything to add or I would have. If you don't share your knowledge then you are just as bad as someone who knew what to tell you and didn't.

Maybe in the future with a post for information like that you might have posted more information on what you have tried... like I burned it with Nero (version 6.6) on a CD-R with Data Mode 1 with ISO 9660 format and I put jpgs of 500x240 in size into a "pictures" directory and I also put on a 100 meg dummy file. And still it says "disk unreadable". Maybe if you told us what you were doing or what you had tried then someone might have noticed what you did wrong. But by saying that you put pics on a disk and you get "disk unreadable", unless I did the same thing and got the same error, I know I don't know what to tell you.

I could have said "read the manual and follow that". It's what I did and it worked. Would that have made you feel better? I guess the other people who read this thread were in the same boat I was.

Just a thought.
Ducati,
Everything you said is correct. What bothered me was the fact that over 60 people had viewed my post with no input at all. I have read many of you post and used them to install my z-1. Also {till} what was the purpose of you post? Typical forum troll with no information to provide just unnecessary comments.

Anyway, what I was doing wrong was not putting enough information on the disk. What worked for me was putting the pic's in one file and naming it PICTURES and then another file with just a bunch of information on it and named in STUFF. Also the first time I used microsoft cd burner and that did not work . I then tried roxio and it worked perfect. If anyone has any questions on a z-1 install in a 06 corvette I would be more than happy to help. Thanks
[quote name="jasonet23"]Ducati,
Everything you said is correct. What bothered me was the fact that over 60 people had viewed my post with no input at all. I have read many of you post and used them to install my z-1. [/quote]

A couple FYI's. With this forum, every time that message is viewed by anyone the counter increments. If you read your message 6 times, it would show that 6 people read the message.

I will always click on every message here and do a quick scan to see if there is anything I can add, if I see something in the message. I might have clicked on it 2 or 3 times, just by accident. So a few of them were me.

So just cause the counter says 60, doesn't mean 60 different people read it, it means it was opened 60 times. If you refresh the page to see if anyone added something, each refresh increments the counter.

I understand your frustration about 60 people and no one helping you but I'm sure the real number was much less than 60 people.

Also with your post title of "Downloading pics to Z-1" many people might have thought you had a new method of downloading pics to the Z1 without the CD. I originally thought that was what your post was about. Not that you were having trouble. So many people might have clicked on it to get more information on how to, when you didn't have how to in your post they closed out.

I'm am optimist and generally assume the best in people. It might not be well deserved. But just don't fret the # of posts and think everyone is against you or witholding information. They just didn't have anything to add to what you wrote. When in doubt, post more specific information.

[quote name="jasonet23"]Also {till} what was the purpose of you post? Typical forum troll with no information to provide just unnecessary comments.[/quote]

I wouldn't call his post a troll post. Maybe a "me too" or an "I agree" post. While it did not add any new information, I believe he was saying that he agreed with me and my opinion and why he didn't post anything either. Generally I would consider a troll someone there just to stir up the s#it as it were. I don't think I would put tillithz in that category.

[quote name="jasonet23"]
Anyway, what I was doing wrong was not putting enough information on the disk. What worked for me was putting the pic's in one file and naming it PICTURES and then another file with just a bunch of information on it and named in STUFF. Also the first time I used microsoft cd burner and that did not work . I then tried roxio and it worked perfect. If anyone has any questions on a z-1 install in a 06 corvette I would be more than happy to help. Thanks[/quote]

Thank you for posting what worked. I know windows cd burner is a big problem, the format is not standard (Joliet instead of ISO 9660 or somethig like that). I only use Nero to burn things and that worked for me.

Anyway, don't worry too much about the view counter. And I'm glad you figured it out. Sorry no one added something to tell you what to do before you figured it out. I do sometimes answer in a smart a$$ response like this one:
[url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2359]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2359[/url]

:)

Nice car by the way!
I followed the instructions in the manual and created a CD-R
with the following contents:

200 meg dummy file ( just to be sure it was big enough
in a folder called stuff
pictures in a folder called pictures when i loaded it into the Z1 it said i had a CD-Rom loaded but it would not let me select the Import from disc option in the background menu. I used Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.

Anyone have any other suggestions? i also tried with a 100 meg dummy file as well but it didnt work. i am goign to try another type of disc i was using Fujifilm CD-R's ill try some Memorex's

When i insert the CD it always says CD-Rom inserted so i have a feeling it is the file structure or size
there are 6 files in the pictures directory and thier sizes are as follows:
350X263
500X250
400X300
500X438
500X375
500X339
[quote name="Geko483"]I followed the instructions in the manual and created a CD-R
with the following contents:

200 meg dummy file ( just to be sure it was big enough
in a folder called stuff
pictures in a folder called pictures when i loaded it into the Z1 it said i had a CD-Rom loaded but it would not let me select the Import from disc option in the background menu. I used Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.

Anyone have any other suggestions? i also tried with a 100 meg dummy file as well but it didnt work. i am goign to try another type of disc i was using Fujifilm CD-R's ill try some Memorex's[/quote]

I don't think it's the size of the dummy file. 100 megs or more is fine.

It's either the pictures or the disk or how you burned the disk. Some people who had issues opened their jpgs into paint and then resaved them and that helped. Make sure you use short file names with just letters and numbers. And if you think it's the way you burned it, in your burning program try to select ISO 9660 only file mode and see if that helps. That would give you the most compatible disk possible. I would use 8.3 file names to, just to be safe.

Standard file size I always use is 500x240 since it's the size of the bitmaps that are the backgrounds which are already loaded.
thanks for the suggestions.

I opened each file in paint and resaved it.

Also renamed the files to conform to short names (8.3) standard letters and numbers only.

Then i updated my burning software to the latest release.

Changed the format to ISO 9660 format

Total disk size was 107 MB
I had the pictures in a folder called pictures, dummy file was in root directory.

It still didnt work, any other suggestions?

I mean you really cant see the background anyways unless you hide the menus, so i am not going to follow up on this much after this ill try some exact matches as well 500 X 250 size just to be sure.

i consider myself fairly well to do with computers i am sure there is some small detail i am overlooking.....
Make sure the picture size is 500x240 also. That works for me. Also you can take the pics from my site.

[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1backgrounds/]http://www.sminntech.com/z1backgrounds/[/url]

Those work for me. It sounds like you are doing everything I was doing. And mine worked.

Also to make sure the disk is as compatible as possible, NO multisession and finalize the disk when done. Something else to try.
well here is the final scoop:

If you are using Roxio Easy CD creator 5:

goto

FILE>CD Project Properties

Change the file system to: ISO 9660

Change the Physical Format of the CD to: MODE 1 CD ROM

DO NOT USE MODE 2 CD ROM XA

Make sure you also follow the directions on page 97 bof the instructions(yes everyone of them and please read them i know i did like 20 times)

This was my problem.... well after burning 12 CD's i figured it out! at least i got the CD's for less than 5 cents each lol anyways thanks for all the great support. Now it is time to tinker with the rest of the OS / HD etc.

Pictures can be pretty much any size with restrictions listed on pg 97 of the instructions they just dont fit well in other formats!