AVIC411.com

Hard drive compatibility list

I've seen a lot of people ask the question over whether or not a hard drive will work with their AVIC F series but I haven't seen a list of people who have tried a certain hard drive and had success or failure. I know generally the 1.8" will work but they are expensive and running a second usb cable to an aux power connector is a fugly solution. So I thought it would be a good idea for everyone who has had success to post their specific hard drive (brand, model, size) and everyone who has had a failure to post theirs as well. This way it won't be a guessing game when someone on here buys their AVIC and wants to slap an external hard drive in their glove box. This post is out of frustration with just having a failure of my own. So, here's the first hard drive on the list:

Model Name: Toshiba Portable External Hard Drive

Model number:HDDR250E03X

Size: 250 GB

Result: FAIL

List the file systems and cluster sizes you tried. And you have to have another USB cable for power because the AVIC unit will not supply enough current to spin up a 2.5'' hard drive. If you're going to test 2.5'' drives, at least give it the proper power to spin up.. because you'll sit there all day long plugging in hard drives and they won't even spin up and initialize if you don't feed them enough current.

That's the point of this post, because there are people on here who say that they have full functionality on a 2.5 but don't list the brand or make. You can say that no 2.5s will work, but people on here say they have them working a second USB hookup. This is am attempt to get those people to post what they use so that people on here can know what hard drives will work everytime. If you search in the trouble shooting forum for what hard drives work and you will see these posts. I'm trying to draw those people out and hopefully we will find out some.

I fail to see how a larger drive could be recognized considering the version of Windows CE on the unit only recognizes a native partition size of 32GB or smaller. I think people are BS'ing, or they found a way around by using a non-native partitioning method. (which if they did find a work-around, it seems like they would have shared it with the community already) Really though, there isn't a problem with getting a 2.5'' hdd to work with the unit. It's the native partition size in 99% of these cases that will prevent it from working how you think it should and be recognized.

Since Microsoft stated it and designed it that way?

Windows CE 5.0 (with all QFE's)

Supported FAT implementations: FAT12 / FAT16 / FAT32 / TFAT

Maximum Native Partition Size: 32GB

Maximum Non-Native Partition Size: 2TB | 16TB (Theoretical)

Maximum Supported Volume: 128 PetaBytes (48-bit LBA | Theoretical)

Maximum Cluster Size: 32KB

NT cluster sizes up to 64KB are not supported

Object Store Size: 256MB

Max File Size (Object Store): 32MB

Max File Size (FAT): 4GB theoretical, in practice no larger than available system memory

If you have a solution such as a driver workaround, alternate file system, or reg edit, please let us know.

Since Microsoft stated it and designed it that way?

Windows CE 5.0 (with all QFE's)

Supported FAT implementations: FAT12 / FAT16 / FAT32 / TFAT

Maximum Native Partition Size: 32GB

Maximum Non-Native Partition Size: 2TB | 16TB (Theoretical)

Maximum Supported Volume: 128 PetaBytes (48-bit LBA | Theoretical)

Maximum Cluster Size: 32KB

NT cluster sizes up to 64KB are not supported

Object Store Size: 256MB

Max File Size (Object Store): 32MB

Max File Size (FAT): 4GB theoretical, in practice no larger than available system memory

This isn't a native or boot partition. Microsoft claims that it does support over 128GB, too...

Attached media (USB/SD) is a native partition. And at least link us up with where Microsoft lists Windows CE 5 as supporting >32GB native partitions, because I copy/pasted that info right from Microsoft Technet. Do you have >32GB drive support working? Present us with some factual and physical evidence if you are going to make claims.

Attached media (USB/SD) is a native partition. And at least link us up with where Microsoft lists Windows CE 5 as supporting >32GB native partitions, because I copy/pasted that info right from Microsoft Technet. Do you have >32GB drive support working? Present us with some factual and physical evidence if you are going to make claims.

I have a 320GB drive working, as I have posted here on numerous occasions.

You list is from РЗС Factor, not MSDN or Technet. And on the bottom the article they say:

HPC:Factor has confirmed that Windows CE is capable, at least in principe of addressing volumes up to 300GB however use of this in practice is not recommended and even then not over 137 GB. No solid usage or performance tests have been carried out on such a setup.

Why shouldn't volumes larger than 32GB be used with older versions of Windows CE.

Windows CE 5.0 and above offers a more performance minded FATFS driver, with CE 6.0 offering a native way to bypass the 32GB limitation through the use of ExFAT...........

Also check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916762 which talks about using drives over 128GB on CE 5.0

Negative. Method used to bypass the 32GB partition, cluster size, file system, screenshot/picture proof booted in Windows CE mode, connectivity method, etc.

But yeah, I have a RAID5 array connected to my radio and it works fine because I say it does and I won't show any proof. :roll:

I have a working 120GB hard drive connected as posted herehttp://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23298&start=15 although im still having the problem where when i switch the unit off and back on again it doesnt automatically recognise its there i have to still unplug the usb and plug it back in again? any ideas? :?