AVIC411.com

GPS Terrible Directions...

I'm not sure what is going on but simple directions to go to a local restaurant (which it had it's name and address) from my house sent me what seemed to be avoiding a pretty main drag road. I have checked all my settings on "acceptable" roads (gravel, toll, etc) and to be safe tried every which way. No matter what it doesn't seem to help. Coming back to my house from many local areas the GPS will say "It is not possible to get to the expected location with the route settings used." or something similar.

Is it possible they have an error on the type of roads or possibly don't connect my road or another road near by? It's about 3 year old area... funny enough my 2005 Cadillac GPS handled it just fine...

The GPS is keeping good track of my car's speed direction and location.

Thoughts?

PS> I'm in the middle of trying LeetLauncher with my tom tom mobile maps to see if it's a unit or just software problem.

probably software problem.

or your location :D

but i've been encountering annoyances with the software, too.. that it forgets to tell me to take an exit. it's on the map, but it isn't said..... it's only on some locations (main road takes a curve, there's a side street that goes "straight ahead". navi doesn't seem to know it's supposed to say "take the next turn left" or whatever)

i'd like to have the D3 navi on my f900

I've had 2 bad direction instances. The first one told me to make a left turn onto a right turn only road, and there was a divider in the road. The other, told me to make a left into the woods, the road didn't exist. My best guess it's an area related thing, and if it is a software problem, it's iGo, not the radio itself.

Same here with bad directions. It is curious that Google Maps which seems to run off off Teleatlas maps also seems to do a much better job of routing.

On the Avic, 'Fastest' and 'Shortest' both give less than desirable routes. I wish there was some fine tuning whereby I could select a balance between these two settings.

Around my place which is a suburban subdivision, the 'Shortest' setting takes me through a maze with turns every 50ft. The same thing on 'Quickest' will take a huge loop around these tiny roads. What Google maps or my brain GPS would say is a combination of both.

I drive heavily around NJ and both the built in IGo and IGo 8.3 (found in Leetlauncher) seem to offer similarly convoluted routes, with the latter taking only a slight edge.