AVIC411.com

Adding a dedicated rearview button

Is there a way to add a dedicated rear view button to any of the screens? I pull a boat all the time and like to check on it frequently when I drive and it sucks having to cycle through 3 screens just to get to the button to turn on the rear view.

I haven't done any mods and am happy with my F700 but this is one annoyance I wish I could change.

Couldn't find anything doing a few searches so I though I'd ask if it's possible or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Is there a way to add a dedicated rear view button to any of the screens? I pull a boat all the time and like to check on it frequently when I drive and it sucks having to cycle through 3 screens just to get to the button to turn on the rear view.

I haven't done any mods and am happy with my F700 but this is one annoyance I wish I could change.

Couldn't find anything doing a few searches so I though I'd ask if it's possible or if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

no one has hacked into that part of the unit yet,

Not exactly what you're asking, but it seems that you could add a physical momentary button or switch to the Reverse signal line on the unit to fake being in reverse gear. According to the manual, the display unit automatically switches to the camera view when the Reverse gear is selected. I don't have one connected, so I don't know that this would necessarily work.

Ideally, get a double-throw momentary button. Connect the HU's reverse wire to the "common" lead of the switch, and the vehicle's reverse gear line (backup lights feed/whatever) to the "normally-closed" lead of the switch, and a twelve-volt (fused) feed to the "normally-open" lead of the switch. As such, when the button is NOT depressed, the unit behaves as normal: if you shift to reverse, the signal from the vehicle feeds to the HU reverse line, which does the appropriate thing. If you depress the button, twelve volts feeds to the HU reverse line, so it thinks it's in reverse regardless, and acts like you shifted into reverse. When you release the button, it all goes back to normal operation again.

Wiring in an external switch is definitely an option I didn't consider. That would work well but I'm not sure I want to go through all that to save 2 button presses.

It's odd that Pioneer only has one screen where you can select the rear view considering that people won't always be looking at that screen. This has been the only frustration I've had with this unit considering there is a lot of dead space on most of the menu screens.