AVIC411.com

F90BT - Audi A4 - FM Reception Issues

About 4 months back I installed an F90BT in my 2006 A4. Since then I have not been able to solve the intermittent FM reception problem. My stock Symphony head unit never had an issue with FM reception, however ever since installing the F90, the FM reception constantly goes in and out.

I am using the powered antenna adapter. I have actually tried multiple versions of the powered adapter (Metra 40-VW53, Metra 40-VW54, and even a non powered adapter.

Anyone have any recommendations? TIA

Sounds to me like your power wire (blue from the Pio harness) is not supplying the Audi antenna amplifier with all the power it needs in a nice seamless manner. Perhaps you can connect a separate 12 volts (fused) positive wire to the amp-turn on wire (the audi wire) instead of the blue wire -- have the new power line be triggered off the accessory wire (you'd need an automotive relay) -- if you are gunna give this a try lemme know and i'll post instructions

Sounds to me like your power wire (blue from the Pio harness) is not supplying the Audi antenna amplifier with all the power it needs in a nice seamless manner. Perhaps you can connect a separate 12 volts (fused) positive wire to the amp-turn on wire (the audi wire) instead of the blue wire -- have the new power line be triggered off the accessory wire (you'd need an automotive relay) -- if you are gunna give this a try lemme know and i'll post instructions

I'm willing to try anything that might solve this. TIA

You should be able to just connect the red wire additionally to the power lead for your antenna. If you want to provide a totally separate line of power -- you'll need to find a 12 volt source and wire in a 30volt SPDT relay as follows:

85: ground

86: Accessory (red wire)

87: wire to power lead of Audi antenna

30: 12 volts fused + (from battery or another 12 volt source in the vehicle)

connecting the blue wire from the f 90 harness did it for me. mine was professionally installed but the installer missed that wire. He tried 3 different antenna adapters but none changed anything. some where you should find a blue wire in your a4 wiring that isn't connected.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm at a loss now. I have checked the blue lead (5 times now). I have run an independent 12V from the battery to the amplified antenna. I have checked that the power lead from the Metra kit is also connected, and I still get static FM, and in and out reception.

I guess my other option is to run a totally independent AM/FM antenna? Anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

Well using just the 12 volt accessory wire didn't help. I guess I can go with trying a completely independent 12 volt, but other than that what could it be? A bad antenna cable?

If the antenna amplifier worked OK before the F90BT install, have a look at the connectors... FAKRA connectors can easily (OK, what is easy, you need to put some pressure on it) be connected with the centra pin bent, so effectivily not connecting at all. Also check the connection to the F90BT... my experience with the installation on my VAG car used a crummy 'phantom power supply' that had a wrong size central pin (to short and to small) and a bent FAKRA pin, the system was professionally installed by the VAG dealer -)

From : http://www.audicrazy.com/B6A4/Bentley_Audi_A4_B6_Radio.pdf page 19-21... The A4 has a complex antenna system with antenna selector unit installed. The F90BT does not control this unit... might be part of your problem?

• 4 weeks later...