AVIC411.com

Bypass draining battery

I recently got the avic f90bt installed in my truck in january. since then ive been through two batteries and ive had my truck checked and they cannot find the problem. i was doing some research and i think it could be the bypass. something is draining my battery while the truck is off. has anyone experienced this? i would greatly appreciate help because this is a huge headache i would like to solve.

i dont see how the bypass is draining your battery since it doesnt draw any power. The radio does draw power when the car is off and more power when the car is on. Do you have the HD tuner too? Maybe that is drawing power when the car is off too.... each car is different, dont forget power locks with remote entry, car alarms, lojack are always using power even when the car is off. Heck it might even be your car's alternator not charging the battery correctly. I guess the best test would to be is to pull the radio's fuse when the car is off and see if your still replacing batteries. Good luck!

i dont see how the bypass is draining your battery since it doesnt draw any power. The radio does draw power when the car is off and more power when the car is on. Do you have the HD tuner too? Maybe that is drawing power when the car is off too.... each car is different, dont forget power locks with remote entry, car alarms, lojack are always using power even when the car is off. Heck it might even be your car's alternator not charging the battery correctly. I guess the best test would to be is to pull the radio's fuse when the car is off and see if your still replacing batteries. Good luck!

yeah, totally agree, theres no way the bypass could be the cause of your battery draining. what else is installed aftermarket wise, and who installed it? what kind of car is it?

Disconnect your battery and put a meter in between the lead and the battery post. Set the meter up to check dc amp draw. You will need to use the 10amp probe slot depending on the type of voltmeter you have. measure the amp draw with the fuse in and fuse out on the radio. If it jumps very little this is not the source of your amp draw. Try to go back to any other mods that you have done with your vehicle in the past few months. You can also put the leads between the radio and the power harness of your vehicle to see if it is drawing any current at rest. Good Luck!

Yes i have an amp and subs that were put in over a year ago. i had a different in dash unit also. i had a kenwood, and then i upgraded to the pioneer avic f90bt. i have a chevy silverado 2006 model. i have a feeling they might have installed my system wrong. i think the amp may now be drawing power while the truck is off. i never had a problem with my old head unit. any suggestions?

Easiest way to see if your amps are left on when you totally turn off your car. Is too look at the LED on the amps. It could be of any color, red green blue white, whatever.

Was there anything else installed at the same time as the navi? Whoever installed it, did they use the same wires as the Kenwood unit? Of course not the same harness, but the same wires that should of been used.

KOT

look for the factory deck, its most likely installed somewhere in the cab somewhere, chances are that the button that you push to make the clock show up on the display is being pushed and i will guarantee thats whats killing your battery. you may need to mount it differently to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate this....I took the amp fuse out TUE's night and started my truck right now THUR morning. The truck started just fine. normally after a day there is a little delay but it started just fine. the amp fuse seems to control the amp, and the lights in the dashboard. the lights that show my mpg and my roundtrip dont even turn on, and the lights that show how fast im going are very dim, and my subs dont work. so i think that fuse controls all that. so im thinking the way they installed this system my amp is always being pulled? so how do i fix this. im leaving the amp fuse out and taking it to a mechanic shop so they can check if something is draining the battery now. ill keep you guys updated. hopefully this is the problem so i dont have to take it to an electric lab!!

Sounds like who ever installed the AVIC 90 didn't wire it up correctly.

So you should take it back to them and tell them that you have changed your battery number of times and that you found out that it was the amps that were drawing the power. Have them recheck the wiring and such. Be persistently nice, and maybe they'll give some of the install money back or a coupon. Since it was their fault and you had changed the batter a few times. But only ask about that after they have discovered it was their fault. Hopefully they would admit to it though.

Good luck

KOT