AVIC411.com

Sun visor for Avic solves screen wash out!

Here's what I came up with for the screen wash out problem in my Lincoln Town Car. It's made from a piece of plexi-glass (8x10 picture frame replacement from Home Depot $1.89) I then covered it with window tinting film from Auto Zone $9.95). I call it the "AVIC-Visor"

It inserts into the CD slot. If you have a cd in the unit, the auto load motor won't start. Also, my sun visor only goes in about 3/4", which is not far enough to trigger said auto load. It's a little crude, but works great!!, except in the late evening when the sun is very low on the horizon.

The first picture gives the impression that the visor covers sight of the map screen...not so. I held the camera at ceiling height so you could see the profile of it. I am 6'4" and it does not obscure sight of the map screen for me at all.

Every car has it's own unique setup, depending how high or low the unit sits in the dash. The size of plexi glass needed depends on your car. Mine extends out 4" from the dash and is 10" wide. I find that this fixed all sun wash-outs except for very late day. I stow it in the front seat console or over the driver's car sun visor.

[attachment=2]Visor 1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Visor 2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Visor 3.jpg[/attachment]

First of all, I don't like tinted windows! It's like wearing sun glasses all the time; sun or clouds, night or day... annoying!

Second, the source of the wash out is from above...through the wind shield (not from the side windows) All windshields are already tinted at the top, but not enough to solve the wash out/glare issue.

innovative but not diggin it

No problem...just sharing. It works for me.

maybe i'll try making one for myself but a lot smaller, i too have problems with the glare, we'll see

I also wanted to make it smaller...more like a hood, with adjustable/movable side wings instead of making it so wide. But i lack the tools/raw materials. This is my first/quick prototype.

(I wonder if you could heat the plexiglass enough to bend it into a hood config?...could ruin a perfectly good convection oven too!:)

C'mon guys not bad. It does bug when the sun glare is on. It's better than my business cards covering up the glare.

I'll say polished the design where is molded to the shape of the console similar to the OEM like Lexus creating a bump molding on the front or sell a radio kit with the visor molded. Hey the idea is there.

(I wonder if you could heat the plexiglass enough to bend it into a hood config?...could ruin a perfectly good convection oven too!:)

I used to mess with Plexi. A heat gun would be ideal. A hair blowdryer on the hottest setting might work, since this is thin stock. Sweep it back and forth across the sheet in close proximity where you want to make the bend. You don't want to heat the whole sheet at once, it will just get bendy all over. You don't have a lot of working time once it gets bendable and you stop heating, maybe five seconds.

The way pros do this is to use a strip heater, kind of like the heat wires in a toaster oven.