AVIC411.com

Rear View Feature Not Working (Backup Camera)

Im using the avic-F90bt. I have a backup camera installed and it works perfectly while in reverse. While driving my device has a feature to use the backup camera. The option is on the top of certain menus and i think says rear view. I press it to see the caution message up top when the backup camera is on but the screen is all black, no picture. I dont believe its the wiring since the camera works just fine in "R" as it should, just this feature is not working. For the backup camera i have only found 2 settings, one to turn it on or off and two to run on battery or some other option i have no idea what it is. I have my backup camera options set to "On" and "Battery". Any ideas? Thank you.

The camera is wired wrong. A lot of shops will wire it wrong to eliminate a step during install. Basically, they connected the cameras power wire directly to the reverse wire of the car which means it only gets power to the cam when the car is in reverse. It will need to be wired properly in order to work while not in reverse.

The camera is wired wrong. A lot of shops will wire it wrong to eliminate a step during install. Basically, they connected the cameras power wire directly to the reverse wire of the car which means it only gets power to the cam when the car is in reverse. It will need to be wired properly in order to work while not in reverse.

Figures! Im actually going back to the shop tomorrow morning to get my viper alarm system installed, same shop and guy that installed my avic-f90bt. What should i tell him? Thanks guys, figured it had something to do with the wiring/install. I would really like this feature to work, works great in reverse.

^^^^true^^^^ the camera needs to get power from an ACC circuit and be grounded all the time (just in case it has constant power and a negitive reverse trigger)

So tell the install guy the camera needs power from the acc curcuit and be grounded all the time? Sorry, i know nothing but install stuff or wiring.

Tell him the camera power and ground wires need to wired as any power and ground wire would be and that the reverse wire from the unit needs to be wired to the reverse wire on the car. He will probably try to charge you an extra install charge for it to work as it should. Tell him that is like charging you to install the wiring harness or the satellite antenna for extra. That you expected it to be done during the initial install. And that you knew the unit supported rear view capabilities and should be installed as such.

Tell him the camera power and ground wires need to wired as any power and ground wire would be and that the reverse wire from the unit needs to be wired to the reverse wire on the car. He will probably try to charge you an extra install charge for it to work as it should. Tell him that is like charging you to install the wiring harness or the satellite antenna for extra. That you expected it to be done during the initial install. And that you knew the unit supported rear view capabilities and should be installed as such.

Thanks! Its already wired to the reverse on the car so thats done already. Sounds like he just needs to wire the other wires to a power and ground? Im sure he'll know when i explain the backup camera working without the car being in reverse, just didnt know how to word it to him. Thanks! Lazy installers!

Very interesting thread. The company where I bought my back up camera stated not to tie into the battery (duh!) but clearly recommended tapping into the reverse light circuit. I thought I'd have to add a separate switch and diode isolate to be able to use the manual rear view feature of the F90BT.

Can a back up camera handle being powered all the time that the vehicle is running without causing damage to the camera? It would be much easier to tap into accessory power than to do it the other way I mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

ahhh, search and ye shall recieve!! lol

Was wondering if the rear camera could be made to be on whenever I want.

this thread delivers!!!! :)

FYI, im planning on installing a cam on the front of my truck (facing forward angled down) so I can see the road on the other side of hills I climb lol