AVIC411.com

Rear View Feature Not Working (Backup Camera)

Could be tired.....

Camera power and ground to switched 12v and ground.

Reverse wire from Pioneer unit to reverse wire of car.

Obviously camera rca plug into reverse video input on Pioneer unit.

Result: camera powered up anytime car is on and Pioneer unit switches to reverse view when vehicle is put in reverse.

Just like VBLUE42 wrote :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently I wired up my camera to a switch, in addition to the normal rearview function, and I have to say that I like this way better.

Many here hook up their cameras to switched ign 12v+ and their reverse lights to the AVIC input. Thus the camera is always on when the vehicle is running and automatically switches to rear view when it's put in reverse. Also, when selecting rear view from the touch screen you can monitor whatever is going on behind you.

What I did was to ground the camera and connect the 12v+ of the camera to the AVIC reverse wire input and tie them both into the reverse lights. This makes the camera only active when the reverse lights are on--and the camera manufacturer recommends this. Then I installed another toggle switch which gets its feed from a 12v+ ign source. I cut the wire from the reverse lights to the camera and the AVIC and installed one diode in the reverse wire and another in the cold side of the switch, both pointing to the AVIC. Then I tied both diodes to the camera/AVIC connection.

I know that this has been covered before, but I really like this way for 2 reasons:

1.) The camera is only on when it's being used. Theoretically it should last longer.

2.) When I toggle my camera on the AVIC unit switches for me--I don't have to hunt through multiple screens to

get to the one that turns the camera on and off, while my reverse lights don't come on.

In my case, the camera only pulls 400 milliamps, so 2 simple 1N4002 diodes rated at 1 amp each worked fine.

Both ways work and the 'always on' way is easier, but IMHO this way is preferrable.