AVIC411.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first gen iphone 3.0 os works no problems with the 700bt.

I just got a Iphone3gs today and the video does not play, i get the sound from the video but no picture.

I plugged a co-worker's 3G S into my 700 BT (FYI: using an "official" Apple cable) on the way to lunch today. In addition to the error message I receive on my 3G about switching to airplane mode, I also received a message stating the phone would not charge. Are you seeing the same thing? I was still able to control her phone but didn't try to play any video.

my 3GS worked fine with audio. I haven't tested video yet. I got the no charging message, but that was expected. I guess I'll be buying the Scosche Passport, unless Pioneer is planning on releasing a new cable.

EDIT: video works, at least with stuff I downloaded from the iTunes store.

I believe Apple changed the charging pin assignment in dock connector. I am planning on calling Apple to confirm this. If so that will mean buying a new av cable from Apple directly once they release an iPhone 3GS version.

I would NOT expect Pioneer to release a compatible cable for at least a year or at all. It's just a numbers game - how many users (what percent) actually have/use the iPhone 3GS? It's probably such a small marketshare that they may just let Apple produce them.

so that means WHITE Apple av cables instead of the Pioneer black . . . LOL

that I can NOT agree with . . . I am currently using the Pioneer cable and it DOES charge most current gen iPods (Except those that used firewire connectivity - charging pin-out is different) and all iPhone except for the 3GS.

My iPhone 3GS charges via the Pioneer cable, but will not play audio or video. It gives me the dreaded "This accessory is not compatible" error. It still was not recognized when I plugged a regular iPod cable into the USB port. I wonder if there's something with the firmware on the F700BT or in the firmware for the iPhone?

For those experiencing charging issues, not all cables are built the same way, older cables (and cables from cheesy manufacturers) use the now deprecated firewire dock pins for charging, it's not Apple or Pioneer's fault, Apple was very clear that accessory manufacturers would have several years before that cable was no longer supported, and they made it very clear the way to work with future ipods and iphones was to use the proper USB supplied dock charging pins, they're even different pins in the dock connector.

The iphone 3G was one of the first units to INSIST on USB charging pins, and would not charge with firewire pins, just like Apple had said would happen for many many years, this was not a surprise to anyone. According to Apple, there were no pinout changes to the 3GS from the 3G, they got enough flack for the original iphone supporting firewire charging, and the 3G not supporting it.

As far as units asking about "airplane mode" since the AVIC does not have the chip that says to the phone "I'm approved for iphone use" every iphone should come up saying "hey.. turn on airplane mode?" It's the X series that has the proper hardware in it that tells the iphone "hey, I'm approved, no need for airplane mode" This is not a "dreaded message" this is because the iphone is told by the hardware "hey, I'm an ipod approved dock" not "hey, I'm an iphone approved dock" I can't say if the original iphone treats it this way, but the 3G and 3GS certainly do.

None of these are surprises, and all of them are standard in relation to ipods and iphones.

Neither the firewire vs USB charging issue, or the "non-approved we need airplane mode" can be fixed by the version 3.0 software since both are hardware issues.

dianebrat,

What specifically would we look for in a cable to ensure it will work with the 3G S? Would it just say compatible with 3G S or is there some specific detail that would indicate tat it is okay. I only bought my pioneer cable a year and a half ago. I'm surprised Pioneer didnt make it to Apple's specs.

What specifically would we look for in a cable to ensure it will work with the 3G S? Would it just say compatible with 3G S or is there some specific detail that would indicate tat it is okay. I only bought my pioneer cable a year and a half ago. I'm surprised Pioneer didnt make it to Apple's specs.

Cables should not have been using the firewire ports for several years, I don't know of an easy way to physically tell the difference, however cables that come with recent ipods and iphones are good, as would be any cable that says it supports the iphone 3G (and in theory any iphone).

Here's a link to the official error and some background http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/ ... -on-ipods/

While Apple apparently announced this upcoming change to manufactures of “Made for iPod†accessories back in 2005, Apple only formerly discontinued Firewire charging support with the most recent iPods. New iPods and iPhones can only charge via the USB pin.

We're talking a change that Apple made almost FOUR years ago!

Fixed my iPhone 3GS problem. When the "This Accessory Is Not Compatible With This iPhone" message comes up....hit Yes. It will turn on Airplane Mode, and you can then use your iPhone like an iPod plugged into the system. You can then turn Airplane Mode off and it will continue to play. When you unplug and plug the iPhone back in, it will work automatically but still have the message popup. It will clear itself and you can continue using your iPhone. Ta-da!