AVIC411.com

Z1... Working GREAT!....Then... no sound.***RESOLVED***

Note: This was "pilot error" on my part in the speaker install. Short circuit overloaded the amp....

Okay, it's 2am. Finished a multiday install of my new Z1. New speakers, wiring, everything.

My buddy and I fired it up and sounded awesome!

Breifly....then.... nada.

Details:

Sept 06 manufacture date, used Ducatiboy's "parking break and pin 2" bypass. First source we tried was a DVD and worked great.

Even managed to find an elusive VSS in an '06 Frontier which I post elsewhere. Works like a charm.

Okay, so I'm stumped. All the sources appear to work great. AM/FM/CD/DVD/IPOD/NAV, etc. but now no sound.

We drove back home wondering if maybe I hit a mute button or something (directions?) and resorted to popping the battery ground and pulling the Z1. Checking connections, everything looked okay. Plopped the battery back on and ran in out of the dash. Sound comes back! Remount, then it's gone!!!!

It's not a connection that I can figure out. Tried multiple grounding. Tried abandoning the bypass. Tried pulling connectors down to just the power and speaker one. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

It looks awesome and sounded even better... for that fleeting moment.

Thanks in advance! Tom

BTW.. this is a great site and I'm happy to have found such a great group of contributing enthusiast.
Its possible that your 'cell mute' wire is touching a ground when you are putting the Z1 back in. If the cell mute wire is grounded it will mute all the sound.

The cell mute wire is a yellow wire with a tab connector on the end and it'll have a little tag on it that says 'Cell Mute Wire' (they're really clever over at Pioneer :) )

Other than that, theres nothing else I can think of.
check that your speakers arent grounding out.. like a wire being pinched against the body of the car.. some newer decks have a protection to shut down when it sees such things.

isnt the cell mute wire yellow with black.. but check that too.
Good ideas... now get this...

Came out this morning to go to work... totally expecting no workie on the Z1. To my surprise, it worked! For five minutes.... at least I could watch the Navi.

So again, I'm using the Ducatiboy bypass and there was some mention in another post about the Z1 "Figuring out" your trying to get around lock-outs. It was also mention when this happens that the Z1 would start to kill features, would that include all volume?

BTW... I used the Cell Mute wire (as suggested in the bypass) for my pin 2 connection so I don't think that's it. could be shorted somewhere else.

Thanks again for any suggestions!
yeah could be elsewhere, remote possibility that a speaker at the speaker is doing it, but you can check that with a meter or light. But try playing it with deck NOT installed into dash, see if something is happening when you put deck back in... like let it play sitting on your lap for 5 minutes.
Never would have thought it but I apparently used TOO much dynamat.

The brand I'm using has a foil outer coating (which I'm sure the dynamat has too). Well, sure enough on my driver side, front door, I had a peice of mat folded behind the speaker that was intermittenly shorting the speaker post to the door I guess.

This of course sent the Z1 amp into over load and shut the whole shooting match down. Took some serious time to figure this one out but in the end it was as simple as trimming the mat back.

All is well this hallows eve. Hope you all are enjoying your Avics and that they got you home safe! Wonder which generation will take the wheel for us?

Home James! and make it snappy like. I need a hot pocket.....

Thanks again for the advice and seems you were all sending me in the right direction.