AVIC411.com

Speed Sensor.. is it working?

Dumb to make another thread about the Speed Sensor, but I don't think it was covered in the others...

How do you know if the Speed Sensor is working? I recently hooked up the speed sensor wire to the proper location (I know for a fact it was right).

Is there a way to test to make sure it's doing its job? Maybe go through a really long tunnel or something?

ALSO, on a side note.. Originally, I had my GPS receiver sitting on TOP of my F90BT, behind my dash. With that setup, I only ever connected to 4 satellites at MOST.

I moved my GPS receiver to part of the frame of the car, a bit to the side of the radio. Now I not only connect to ALL of the satellites (Green, all except for 1!), but by the time my unit is ready to be used after I start my car, I'm already connected to all the Satellites, so there's no waiting! Just start the car and drive :D

The best way to check if a VSS wire is functioning properly is to use a multimeter. The voltage across the VSS wire will fluctuate with the vehicles speed. Usually the voltage will increase as the speed increases. The voltage specification can probably only be found in your vehicle factory service manual, but is usually not necessary to check proper functionality of the wire.

The next best way, without a multimeter is on the unit itself. If you go to nav settings, you can change the displayed info on the nav screen and one option is vehicle speed. That will display your speed according to your VSS wire. That speed will generally be off by 1-2mph.

Hope this helps!

The best way to check if a VSS wire is functioning properly is to use a multimeter. The voltage across the VSS wire will fluctuate with the vehicles speed. Usually the voltage will increase as the speed increases. The voltage specification can probably only be found in your vehicle factory service manual, but is usually not necessary to check proper functionality of the wire.

The next best way, without a multimeter is on the unit itself. If you go to nav settings, you can change the displayed info on the nav screen and one option is vehicle speed. That will display your speed according to your VSS wire. That speed will generally be off by 1-2mph.

Hope this helps!

thanks pwnin the barbarian. i'll give it the ol' college try.

Great success. Thank you. Though I will say I find the "Speed" display mostly useless since it's so small and out of my line-of-sight. Instead, I put the "Speed Limit" one on there, but it's displaying in km/hr... Can I change that through the settings menus? I haven't looked as of yet.