AVIC411.com

New Owner of Z1 in an E46 BMW M3

Wow! Thanks, Garret for having this site. I was thrilled to find out about your Hard Drive's for sale for upgrades to Z3.

I have an E 46 M3 and have been looking for months considering a BMW Navi unit. No easy way to put a voice activated new unit in an older 2005 car like mine. Until i found out about the Pioneer.

I guy on my M3 Forum sold me this. Is is a good deal? I think so just from the standpoint 95% of the parts are pre sourced for me. I had to buy one HVAC control relocation bracket that BMW actually makes.

THIS WAS THE POST IN THE FOR SALE SECTION OF AN M3 FORUM:

Well I've decided to sell my Pioneer AVIC Z1 and all the mounting hardware. I just don't have time to do the install (although the hard part of finding all the parts is done)......

The AVIC Z1 is practically brand new (it was in my other car for a couple weeks). Everything else is BRAND NEW.

I am selling this as a package for now. No negotiating.....

Package includes:

Pioneer AVIC-Z1 (paid $1,800 new)

Bezel (paid $175)

Mounting kit (paid $150)

Wiring Harness (paid $10)

Antenna adapter (paid $10)

PAC SWI-PS steering wheel controler (paid $60)

Pioneer CD-IB100II Ipod Interface (paid $75)

All owners manuals, and boxes incuded.

END OF POST IN THE M3 FORUM

SO,

I paid 1100usd, shipping was included.

Plus:

BMW HVAC relocation bracket: $100

Pioneer ND BC1 camera $179 ??? PLUS SHIPPING

Hard drive upgrade from GaRRET $130

INSTALLATION: approx 5-6 hours at 25 to 30 an hour. Mounting the camera and running the wires will take some time. He will be changing the HD out too.

so, that is still better than a crappy BMW unit I think, dont you?

I was not too thrilled when i saw brand new Z1's going for 1300, but with Garrets's upgrade to a Z3 and virtualy all the parts already sourced, i figured its OK. The unit was in a show car ans supposedly lightly used. I do NOT know the manufacture date. But i do want every possible lock out to go by by. I have enough of big legal Brother, thank you.

So, a general question. It is a upgrade question, but I think it is safe to ask it in ths sub forum:

Should I get everything hooked up and running first or just go ahead and install the new HD from Garrett?

I have a LOT of reading to do. I am a super noob with almost no knowledge of the full capabilities of the unit. I do kow that the date of manufacture makes a difference in how the lock outs are accomplished.

We, (well my installation man who is incredible) wil be installing the pioneer camera in FRONT to visually protect emy VERY low and VERY expensive carbon fiber lip.

We just installed a small wireless back up camera system behind the front grill. It works fine but mounting the monitor has been a real issue. We did not know where to put it since my car is also a show car. The manitor really did not fit anywhere.

I was thrilled to find out the Avic has the capability of a camera.

So I lost 75 dollars plus installation on my current camera system. It's worth it to now have a BUILT IN 7 inch screen, rather than a cheap 2.5inch LCD mounted hanging on the dash.

Well, happy to be here. Like I said, i have a LOT of reading to do.

Garret, you will be hearing from me soon about a hard drive.

All owners manuals, and boxes incuded.

Congrats on your purchase. I would like to make it clear that this is not my forum. JasonH has created this forum for the members and has been an incredible asset in supporting this site even as it continues to grow so quickly.

I personally would get everything working before installing a new drive. This will give you one less thing to worry about troubleshooting during the initial setup.