AVIC411.com

How to install a 2.5" external usb hard drive

Once again, that's not an answer as to why, it's just a no. I don't have any HDD's here to try it myself, but maybe those who are reading this can try what I asked about creating the folders in the same structure as an iPod and saving their music/videos in the same format. Since these units are supposedly built around iPod intergration, maybe changing how we store the files on the drive can help reduce the lag. Unless you, in your infinite 4000+ post wisdom :roll:, knows of a post that someone has done it EXACTLY what I'm asking about, how about you don't reply then since I already know your stand on the subject. I've got your .02, deal.

Well I don't have to answer why because I already know why. If you want to know why, search through the numerous over the last two years explaining why. And why really doesn't matter if the fact is its not going to happen.

Like I said, unless YOU can show me an EXACT thread where someone tried putting everything onto the HDD in iPod file structures, formats, etc and it turned out to be a complete waste of time, then I'll shut up and quit questioning your holyness.

I got told for years that a 6spd swap into my 740iL wasn't possible...it wouldn't run right cause the computer looks for the 5spd auto only, the engine was tuned for the autos shifting points, the OBC will give "trans failsafe" messages all over the place, it won't even start, yada yada yada. Guess who's got an M5 6spd running perfectly fine in his 7 with a simple software tweak. If we all took "no, it can't be done" for an answer, it'd be a sad ass world we live in. I've already gotten your .02 man...really.

Time for my two cents. I have been running a hd in my car with f900 for over a year I think and when I had just gotten my hu I was thinking of buying an ipod. This was mainly because the Ipod user interface seemed so much user friendly. that was untill I found the f#$#$ ipod still needs a damn cable which transfers the music in analogue. Boy was I mad. So what I am trying to say is that if you make your hd like an ipod it might get into the same problem. The unit thinks its an actual ipod and would not actually play the music unless the analogue cable was conected. I mean com on how f*#@$# cheap could you be to mess up with a digital signal. I mean if pioneer wanted me to buy a different type of usb cable for it I would have gladly bought it but a non digital cable, I think not.

You know what though I never thought of that idea my self so what I am gonna do is convert a bunch of albums, put em on my 8 gig flash drive and see if the performance differs.I can tell you one thing though, the speed of the unit reading ur music files directly related to how many mp3s or other formats you have on a hd or flash drive.

The signal has to get converted to analog from the source before it hits your speakers anyway. It makes no difference weather it gets converted from the iPod to the unit or if the unit converts it from the HDD. In the end, by the time it gets to your speakers, its analog.

Like I said, unless YOU can show me an EXACT thread where someone tried putting everything onto the HDD in iPod file structures, formats, etc and it turned out to be a complete waste of time, then I'll shut up and quit questioning your holyness.

I got told for years that a 6spd swap into my 740iL wasn't possible...it wouldn't run right cause the computer looks for the 5spd auto only, the engine was tuned for the autos shifting points, the OBC will give "trans failsafe" messages all over the place, it won't even start, yada yada yada. Guess who's got an M5 6spd running perfectly fine in his 7 with a simple software tweak. If we all took "no, it can't be done" for an answer, it'd be a sad ass world we live in. I've already gotten your .02 man...really.

It still won't work, no matter how you structure your hard drive. iPods connection does not work through direct file access. Apple has a special protocol that is used to access their units, so only an iPod can present itself as an iPod to any external device. While _theoretically_ it might be possible to emulate iPod, if you use a full computer instead of a hard drive, for one it would be cheaper to just get an iPod, and even if you tried writing an emulator, Apple's lawyers would eat you alive long before you'd get it working.

You can as people to go to lengths doing absolutely useless things, but just take a word from people who actually know how this things work. It is not possible.

By the way, DACs in iPod aren't any owrse than ones in AVIC, so using analog connectors is not going to degrade your sound any. And by using iPod's processing instead of AVIC's, navigation will run faster, too.

Bump so I can get updates on this thread again.

Are you stupid or something?

Really, though.. You got banned for freaking out in another thread after you were told this isn't happening, so you create new account and respond to all these threads after a week, as if something magically changed?

I'll tell you what, I'm waving my magic wand, just for you. Whatever you want to work should be working now.

Guest x5james

That would be awesome...so many people, including myself, would be so excited. I mentioned this already, but I don't see a way to subscribe to a thread unless I post on it.

• 1 month later...

How come my USB ports are no longer as fast as they were before i re-formatted? I have an external hard drive that, before the reformat, could transfer data quickly. Now i seems to take as long as it did with old pc's. Could it be because i havent installed USB drivers properly? Thanks!

affiliateelite ~ affiliateelite.com ~ adgooroo ~ adgooroo.com