AVIC411.com

backup camera recommendations for f90bt

I just ordered f90bt. I think I got a good deal ( $510 for a new one). I am looking for camera now. I have seen that people on this board like boyo. Could someone tell me what the differences are between various models. I would also need help with wiring. I want to be able to access the camera in "non-reverse" mode as well.

Also, i would like to set it up for a 2nd monitor. what would i need to do? do i need a different harness?

thanks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a boyo and it works great. You can view the camera even when not reversing. The wiring is straightforward as you only need to connect the power and the reverse wire to the headunit and you're good to go.

thanks for responding...i had decided to get boyo already...i just wanted to know difference between there various models...such as VTK--vtl300 vtl 420 etc...

I ordered one finally after doing some research....

• 2 months later...

I just about finalized my F90BT install. I put an antenna splitter in, so the FM works along with the HD radio. I added the PAC SWI for steering wheel controls, and we actually impressed how versitile it was. My car only has 4 buttons for audio,

Preset

Vol Up

Vol Down

Mode

And it is much nicer using those, especially to switch stations without leaving the map screen.

I also added an Audiovox Rear Camera license plate frame. Retail is $100, I got it from ebay as a Refurb, (poorly repackaged, I guess a customer return). It was $50, and I made offer of $42 and got it.

I have everything hooded up and it works well, the only thing remaining is to correctly route the video cable through the trunk to the trunk lid. I do not think I will be able to route it through the factory weatherproof cable housing.

I just ordered f90bt. I think I got a good deal ( $510 for a new one). I am looking for camera now. I have seen that people on this board like boyo. Could someone tell me what the differences are between various models. I would also need help with wiring. I want to be able to access the camera in "non-reverse" mode as well.

Also, i would like to set it up for a 2nd monitor. what would i need to do? do i need a different harness?

thanks

I have the same question, there seems to be a lot of inexpensive rear view cameras on the ebay. Anyone actually tried any of these non brand names? Does it worth spending over $100 for a camera like Boyo when there a plenty non branded cameras under $40?

Does it worth spending over $100 for a camera like Boyo when there a plenty non branded cameras under $40?

I would say not. I chose mine based on mount. I searched dozens of different ones based soley on external appearance. I would bet that they all have about the same video quality, and I wasn't too concerned about that. The audiovox one is all metal with metal license plate frame. It does not have illumination leds, but since it is mainly used for bumper-bumper, the backup lights work great. It also has a microphone which I am not using.

I might remove it again and paint it to match the car. I think it would work well, and might look even a bit better.I did have to drill a fairly large (11/16") hole for the wires, but it came with a nice grommet, and it is behind the license plate and on my car the trunk had a recessed panel there anyway, kinda hard to explain, but works well. It is asustable with 3 different angles downward, and the default middle setting leaves just a hair of the rear bumper in view, almost perfect. When I backup until the ground is no longer visible between the bumpers, I am about 2½" away!

there is a video wire which you need to run al the way to the head unit, typically behind back seat, under carpet, through console...

then there are the power wires. If your backup lights are on the trunk like the license plate, tap power from them, so when it reverse the camera is powered. otherwise you will neet to run them from trunk lid to main body. That is where I am stuck. I want to power the camera whenever the car is on, so I cu enable it even when driving or parked.

If your backup lights are on the trunk like the license plate, tap power from them, so when it reverse the camera is powered. otherwise you will neet to run them from trunk lid to main body. That is where I am stuck. I want to power the camera whenever the car is on, so I cu enable it even when driving or parked.

You need to power the cam from the switched 12 volt wire, the red one your head unit is powered off of.