AVIC411.com

US 3.0 update for F500. Status: UPDATE COMPLETED

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's done. It took about 1:15. It now shows Map: 2.000400, Version: 3.010200 . The only lameness were two errors while updating and some lame instructions. Pressing retry got past the errors. As for the instructions, only after you've completed all of the instructions does it actually give you a couple extra instructions for how to update an F500!! Ya think you maybe should have mentioned that first...given that this is an F500-only update.

Among the three special instructions one says to attach the unit to the cradle before updating and do not detach. I have yet to install the cradle in my car...so that didn't get done as instructed. I also haven't activated MSN direct yet...so I'm not sure how those particular updates are going to get done.

Click and drag is noticeably better...even with my limited use. Button clicks aren't quite perfect, but pretty good.

I forgot to mention one really noteworthy thing. In a great example of packaging waste, the CD case with the two SD cards was sent to me in a 12"x12"x6" box. Nice job.

Just got it. I haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering if I should wait till I hear that leetlauncher can still be run after the upgrade! I'm hoping they didn't change anything to block the testmode we all love so much.

Here's some pics. I'm sure no one will want to look at them all, but they're there if you care...

post-36105-12872758089971_thumb.jpg

post-36105-12872758092741_thumb.jpg

post-36105-12872758095922_thumb.jpg

post-36105-12872758099608_thumb.jpg

post-36105-12872758128147_thumb.jpg

post-36105-12872758131233_thumb.jpg

post-36105-12872758131844_thumb.jpg

Just looked at the instructions a bit more. FYI, it looks as though the update requires a media number that comes on an included card as well as a device-unique id. Those two numbers are fed into a webpage and permanently associated with each other. The webpage then generates an activation "password" that you enter into the unit to begin the upgrade process.

If you were hoping to just copy someone's card and get a free install, think again. Obviously there will be people who make it available one way or the other, but if you were hoping for something now, just go buy the thing! Seriously, I'm an engineer/coder as well so I try to pay for what I use.

Got mine today. Installed it and its stuck at the Top Menu with "System startup in progress. Please wait"

I received no errors during the install. I can use test mode but I am hesitant to copy my older flash disk to the unit. This is my test unit so at least my other one works but I am not happy....

I ended up installing both cards and everything went ok. First card didn't take too long, second card took 31mins. I have pictures of each stage of the process that I figured I'd take just "in case". I also recorded a video of me using the system before the update so I could compare it to after the update.

Quite honestly, $60 for the maps might be worth it, maybe, but the firmware update isn't THAT big of a deal. Honestly, it still hangs up on random actions and takes seconds to become responsive again. It takes about as long to enter leave menus/submenus. It still takes about as long to boot. They moved a few settings around, and the new iGo version and customizations make the gps minimally easier to read and use.

All in all, it feels like a minor update to me. I know everyone has been oozing compliments over the update, but I'm still amazed at how bad the music/video player and controls are, how poorly they response to my actions, and (the BIG one) how LONG it takes to respond to me sticking in a card packed with mp3s. Does it really need to index anything? Just do it the way coreplayer does; let the user select the music folder and then hit play. I don't need it searching the whole disk for media files. It ends up playing .wav files that are on the disc in game folders even though I obviously don't want to listen to them. The biggest annoyances are still the biggest annoyances.

Testmode does still work perfectly. Leetlauncher still runs just fine. The only reason I still need it is for coreplayer and the nicer default gui/features of the iGo 8.3.2 setup that comes with leetlauncher. I like that coreplayer automatically reads the album art info that media player auto generated in my music folders. Why doesn't leetlaunchers media gui do the same?

I ended up installing both cards and everything went ok. First card didn't take too long, second card took 31mins. I have pictures of each stage of the process that I figured I'd take just "in case". I also recorded a video of me using the system before the update so I could compare it to after the update.

Quite honestly, $60 for the maps might be worth it, maybe, but the firmware update isn't THAT big of a deal. Honestly, it still hangs up on random actions and takes seconds to become responsive again. It takes about as long to enter leave menus/submenus. It still takes about as long to boot. They moved a few settings around, and the new iGo version and customizations make the gps minimally easier to read and use.

All in all, it feels like a minor update to me. I know everyone has been oozing compliments over the update, but I'm still amazed at how bad the music/video player and controls are, how poorly they response to my actions, and (the BIG one) how LONG it takes to respond to me sticking in a card packed with mp3s. Does it really need to index anything? Just do it the way coreplayer does; let the user select the music folder and then hit play. I don't need it searching the whole disk for media files. It ends up playing .wav files that are on the disc in game folders even though I obviously don't want to listen to them. The biggest annoyances are still the biggest annoyances.

Testmode does still work perfectly. Leetlauncher still runs just fine. The only reason I still need it is for coreplayer and the nicer default gui/features of the iGo 8.3.2 setup that comes with leetlauncher. I like that coreplayer automatically reads the album art info that media player auto generated in my music folders. Why doesn't leetlaunchers media gui do the same?

Thanks for the mini review. I feel like I wasted 60$ now :-(

Thanks for the mini review. I feel like I wasted 60$ now :-(

I just hope at least the maps are up to date in my area.

X100 We use the GPS for camping and allot of state parks in NY are not even listed... lame. These parks have been around for 50 years.

X100 We use the GPS for camping and allot of state parks in NY are not even listed... lame. These parks have been around for 50 years.

Yeah, I went to Bryce Canyon in Utah and the main famous hotel by there is Ruby's Inn. It wasn't even listed. It's been there forever and actually shows up on maps as if it was it's own city!

Oh, and I still think it's worth the $60 for the upgrade, just barely though. I'm a coder and I can't help thinking I could code up some very nice changes if I had access to their source. At least with that bleeping media software. Actually, I'd love to have leetlauncher source so I could make a few tweaks there too. I guess he's got other hobbies that keep him from doing anything here anymore :(.

I may just quit working....... I will be away for 2 weeks.... I will actually have a long stop over within 25 miles of my house while flying from one place to another on Friday.... I will swing by to get the update, which is at my home right now, but I will not be able to install it until August 11th or 12th...... I may just quit....AVIC more important.....

Here is the lowdown... my shipping and tracking info with delivery date.......wooohooooo

UPS TRACKING INFO:

Tracking Number: 1Z40W110025109???? Status: In Transit

Scheduled Delivery Date: :wink: 08/03/2009 (Updated) / 08/04/2009 (Original)

Shipped To: LAPLACE, LA, US Shipped

Billed On: 07/31/2009 Type: Package Service: 2ND DAY AIR Weight: 1.10 LBS

One nice "feature" of the new firmware is that if you were listening to the radio (Ipod off), when the F500 boots, it defaults to the radio again (instead of the ipod). I found this really annoying before, and always tried to hibernate my F500 to avoid this.....but now, even after a full restart the last audio source is remembered.

welll.......... it's done...... it is an improvement. The heads up map display is there as advertised. Better screen touch response; better display contrast. Ironically, they fixed some things that never should have been there in the first place........I cant quite understand how a company like pioneer could release a product where the sound of the key presses would get as loud as the SD card music volume as you turned it up...ridiculous.... they fixed it..... I have been and still am happy with my Avic-Z and my F500BT........ and the IDT 3.0 is working great awesome... I owe him some $$$.........

...oh...... that packaging is a damn shame