AVIC411.com

Features enabled when Z1 bypass is wired correctly?

Hello All,

First time poster, long time lurker. OK, not to long, just got a Z1 and the Bluetooth, Sirius and TV Tuner add-ons as a gift and had it all installed in my '06 RAV4. Looks and works amazing. Had the speakers replaced as well and damn what a difference!!

The installer wired the 08/06 and later manufacture date bypass for me upon install, but some of the expected features that should be available are not, like POI searches and such. I also still get the pop-up warnings.

Anyway, here's what I am looking for but am unable to find after various searches in these forums. If this exists in a post I was unable to find, don't start bashing, be cool and just reference the post please.

What Z1 features are not normally available when actively driving the vehicle?

I know the DVD and TV would not work without the bypass. What about the NAV features and options? Which ones are unavailable when the bypass is not installed? Is there a way to tell what is wrong with the bypass by what features are and aren't available?

I think creating a sticky post out of this list that will hopefully result from replies would be a great resource (assuming it doesn't exist already and I missed it in my searches).

I also would like this as further evidence to the installer that the bypass is not hooked up correctly. I'm taking the RAV back in this Saturday to have the wiring looked at.

Thanks,

vigil

Sorry, that was a premature post. My office locks me out of this site between noon and 2PM. Why? I don't know. But any other time I can use it.

So I saw the topic of your post and then had 15 seconds to respond or wait till 2 and I quickly threw in the link thinking that was the complete answer to what you wanted to and when I went back and took my time to re-read your question, I realized I told you what you kind of already knew. :) But you could have used more info... and I just didn't have the time till I was locked out.

Sorry. Guess I shouldn't post under the gun so to speak.

So, lets see if I can answer your actual question with more information.

There are 3 pop up windows (or messages) with the Z1.

1. Nav Disclaimer

2. DVD in the front seat warning

3. Parking brake is not installed correctly.

With the bypass you will still get #1 and #2, but not #3. No way to get around 1 and 2 as far as I know.

When the Z1 is wired up as normal and the parking brake is off... things I know you don't have access to are:

Address Search,

POI Search,

Address Book,

DVD playing at all (no matter moving or not).

This is not a complete list, but it's what I know for sure off the top of my head.

Bypass Debugging is Manufacture date specific and this is for the July 06 units and newer.... this doesn't really apply as much to June 06 and older units.

Best thing to see if your bypass is working at all is to hit the MENU button (if you get the disclaimer screen, hit ok and then hit MENU again). Look for POI Search and Address Search.

If those are available then your unit is bypassed. If you check the parking brake status on

MENU - SETTINGS - HARDWARE - CONNECTION STATUS

The parking brake line should be ON and should never change.

Then drive around. If this is a very new Z1 and you don't have many miles on this, it will be fine for 50 - 100 miles. After that if the "second secret connector 2 wire" is not grounded then the pop up warning #3 (from above will pop up). If you get that and you think you bypassed the Z1 then you missed or screwed up that connector 2 wire. If that pop up #3 message never shows up, the bypass is successful.

If you don't get the POI Search and Address Search buttons, you can double check your parking brake status:

The parking brake line should be ON but will most likely say OFF. If this is the case, then the light green wire out of the Z1 is not grounded.

Remember you need both the light green parking brake wire and the connector 2 wire grounded for the July 06 and newer Z1's

Ducatiboy - Thanks so much. Yes, that is precisely what I was seeking.

The installers are good and know their stuff, but these bypass methods are new to them for the AVIC units it seems. I was the first to direct them to your bypasses and to this forum.

This gives me something specific to print out and provide to them to do the troubleshooting to ensure this is set up correctly.

I think they did not ground the "second secret connector 2 wire" because when I first picked up my RAV after install, it was fine, but now, well after 100 miles were driven, I get the #3 pop-up listed and it's symptons.

You are the man and this is obviously why you deserve the respect you get on this forum for your contributions.

Thanks. You didn't mention it but if the parking brake is grounded and you are getting pop up message #3. When you are stopped, if you are looking at the menu, the POI and ADDRESS SEARCH buttons should be available. And as soon as you start moving, > 10MPH they should gray out.

Just as a good double check.... that should happen if they missed the connector 2 wire.

Once you ground the connector 2 wire, you will want to reset the unit with the recessed button to the right of the eject button and the pop up #3 message will go away and from then on what you see stopped will work in motion.

You nailed it Ducatiboy.

I get popup message #3, and when I am stopped the POI and Address Search options become available, and go greyed out when I start moving.

That is what I thought was the problem, only one of the two required wires to ground were grounded. When I spoke to the shop he said they had grounded both, but I wonder if the second ground has become loose, or just not grounded well. Will find out Saturday and let you know the final outcome.

Yah, they did miss something with that second wire... either they didn't shove the wire in all the way or they didn't ground it or they put it in the wrong location. But they did miss it somewhere there. I'm sure they will find it when they double check it.

Just double check the date on the unit, if they did ground this and the unit is a July 06 and before you might need to flash your lights. I know you said 08/06 but just double check the Z1 itself.

Also you will probably need a reset to get rid of the popup.

I'm sure you will get it worked out.

Yeah - This shop is good. Seems to have been the right choice. They know Toyotas well since they do a large amount of dealer installed Nav systems for new car purchases for Toyota and Lexus dealers in the area. So that's a plus considering I have an '06 RAV4.

That and their customer service is terrific. My first stop in there, and it was 5:30 PM by the time we were done chatting about the work I wanted done, which is their closing time. A guy was there whose QLogic sub-box just came in and he was getting a sub for it. He was supposed to have been there earlier, but got stuck in traffic on the way over. The folks at the shop stayed late to help him put the box in his pickup and tune it, instead of having him go home and come back another time.

Witnessing that good customer service, and the fact that they were knowledgeable and didn't give me any BS about having bought the Z1 and accessories elsewhere sealed the deal. The number of places that I checked out, and effectively sold me on NOT using them, was ridiculous.

Sure - the place is Sound Sensations in Auburn, MA. http://www.thesoundsensation.com/

Now I went in this Saturday, and the guy I've been dealing with wasn't there, but one of the head installers was. He is admittedly in his words not as familiar with the AVIC's and the bypass as the guy I've been dealing with.

He was the one who did the install, and swore up and down that he set up the bypass for 08/06 and newer units correctly, everything well grounded. Yet despite this, I still cannot utilize the POI and Address Search options while on the move. I think I offended him by coming back. Seemed to have a bit of a thin skin about it. Also tried to say "we aren't even supposed to be doing this bypass thing" (legally) but hey, you opened the door to it by doing it, and now it should work. Can't back out now.

Correct me if I'm wrong and misunderstanding this, but I definetly should be able to use those NAV features when actively driving with the bypass set up correctly, correct?

What if I mis-read my manufactur date? Is there any way to determine the manufacture data aside from pulling the unit out of the car? Is it on the box or anywhere else?

If it's a 07/06 manufacture date, is it correct that it could need the bypass w/ the DucatiBoy circuit OR the manually wired bypass method?

I tried the flashing the lights test, but when I drive away, those options grey out again. Not sure that I'm performing the test right. It says to disengage the parking brake. Stupid question, but does that mean take the car out of park before testing?

I think I'm going to arrange to have it in the shop when the main guy i've been dealing with is there to look into it during the week.

He was the one who did the install, and swore up and down that he set up the bypass for 08/06 and newer units correctly, everything well grounded. Yet despite this, I still cannot utilize the POI and Address Search options while on the move.

Well he can swear all he wants to, if it's not working then he didn't do it correctly. (or you have a June 06 and older unit).

I think I offended him by coming back. Seemed to have a bit of a thin skin about it. Also tried to say "we aren't even supposed to be doing this bypass thing" (legally) but hey, you opened the door to it by doing it, and now it should work. Can't back out now.

Well, I hope they will work to get it right. You have to be a little tactful, but if he is willing to do it and you know when your Z1 was made it's easy to know what to do. The installer just has to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong and misunderstanding this, but I definetly should be able to use those NAV features when actively driving with the bypass set up correctly, correct?

Yes, you absolutely should. I have heard of no single Z1 that is not bypassable with one of the 2 methods I show on my site.

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html

One of those will absolutely work. After you figure out which you need, and then do it, everything will work all the time and nothing will "gray out".

What if I mis-read my manufactur date? Is there any way to determine the manufacture data aside from pulling the unit out of the car? Is it on the box or anywhere else?

It's possible, but it's written as:

"April 06" or "August 06"

Tough to miss that. It's not like they encode it in the serial number or something.

Yes, the same manufacture date sticker is on the unit and on the outside of the box it came in.

If it's a 07/06 manufacture date, is it correct that it could need the bypass w/ the DucatiBoy circuit OR the manually wired bypass method?

Yes, I believe so. Most July 06 (07/06) units will need the 2 wire grounded method but I have heard a few reports that people used my circuit on the 07/06 units... but only a few. I don't think they made the change over right at July 1 2006. Some got out like the old way. Or those people could have been pulling my chain and they mistook June for July or something. Generally July 06 use the 2 wire method, but some people told mere there were July units that needed my circuit. So if you have a July 06 unit, I can't tell you for sure one way or the other.

Which is why I say to test the flasher method first. If the parking brake wire is not connected yet, or connected to the parking brake and the parking brake is disengaged and you flash the lights at the right time and it works, you will see those menu items available. Even while parked there is no way to see them unless the unit is bypassed. If they are grayed out then your timing is off or you need the other bypass method. You don't have to drive around to test it. For the 2 wire method you need to drive around to see if that works (and new Z1's will work with just the parking brake grounded and not the connector 2 wire for about 50 miles till the Z1 calibrates itself).

I tried the flashing the lights test, but when I drive away, those options grey out again. Not sure that I'm performing the test right. It says to disengage the parking brake. Stupid question, but does that mean take the car out of park before testing?

No, the car can be in park, but the parking brake can't be on. But if your guy is trying to do the 2 wire bypass, he probably grounded the parking brake which makes the Z1 think the parking brake is on 24/7. So once you wire it up like that, you can't flash your lights, even for a test, till you unhook that wire. Well you can flash your lights, but nothing will happen unless you disconnect the light green parking brake sense wire and reset the Z1.

Go to:

Look at the parking brake. If it's ON then flashing your lights won't work (even if it's supposed to).

If that is ON and you move the parking brake itself and that doesn't change then they have the bypass half right.

If you are now getting the pop up message of "Your parking brake is not wired properly"... then reset the unit with the recessed button to the right of the eject button.

Shut off the car and start it again, that message will go away. If it's comes back after you drive around (with the DVD player playing or something) you are missing the connection on connector 2. That has to make connection in the connector itself and to ground. One of those is not connected (or both).

I think I'm going to arrange to have it in the shop when the main guy i've been dealing with is there to look into it during the week.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much for all your comments here DucatiBoy.

They helped alot. I took the car in to the shop, and in less then half an hour I had a call on the cell that they were done and found the problem. The 2nd connector wire had been moved to a different pin in the harness, but not the right one. Once in the correct spot, all is well and my Nav is fully functional whether on the move or not.

Now to go update the music db software to the newer release.... and to enjoy my Z1 of course!