AVIC411.com

About My Passport Essential 400gb drive

I just recently got one, and I'm trying to get it to work for my AVIC 900Bt, it just blinks a bit and clicks. I've been told that it's not getting enough power from the AVIC, but I've also be told to go get a U3 software and it'll run. I got it to boot in test mode, and it looked like it booted one time in normal mode, but it didn't show anything in the USB slot. My question is, how can I get this working, hopefully without dishing for a USB power deal. I also tried formatting it in the AVIC, but I didn't have ways to name my partition.. Any help is appriciated.

You'll need to get an external power source for your USB drive. The USB port only supports 500mA of current draw, and when your 400GB drive is starting to spin it'll pull more than that- which is why the AVIC won't see it. What are you planning on putting on that drive? Unless you're meticulous with your folder / file organization it's going to be a PITA to navigate through the drive. Unfortunately, this is one of those scenarios where an iPod is the best option for portable media storage.

krnfrk, if you're not looking to grab an iPod cable and whatnot, you can try what I did, and you can make the cable you need at home if you really need to. The problem is that the USB port coming from the AVIC unit doesn't supply enough power for the drive, as was obviously said. The trick here is to give the USB connection a little bit of a power boost. You'll need to pick up a 12V DC Car Socket to USB converter - you can find them at Wal-Mart in the auto section for pretty cheap. The other thing you'll need is a USB Y cable - this connects the power from two USB cables to your drive, so that it gets the power it needs. You can buy one (I ordered this one for a friend just today), or if you're savvy to making one and have a couple spare USB cable laying around, you can make one for incredibly cheap. I threw a cable together today after picking up a Passport 250GB drive myself and forgetting to consider the power requirements, and I'm happy to say that I have a nice load of movies and music connected to my AVIC now.

Hopefully that made sense. Anyway, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help out.