AVIC411.com

F90BT Compass Points In Wrong Direction While Moving

I have an F90BT, and I noticed that while in 3D mode the compass does not point in the correct direction while I'm driving. My VW GTI has an electronic compass so I've been able to check the F90 against the car's internal compass. North and South are correct, but East and West seem to be flipped. For example, if I'm heading SE the compass will point SW. It doesn't affect the actual navigation, but it's still pretty annoying to have the compass always pointed in the wrong direction.

I just upgraded to the 3.01 firmware today and was hoping the problem would be resolved; however, the issue persists (note: it is present in 3D mode as well as the new 2D rotating mode). Is there some calibration issue that I am unaware of? This seems extremely bizzare to me. Thanks for the help!

Find the gps antenna. Make sure it's not upside down. Actually, it shouldn't work upside down, but stranger things have happened. The bottom also needs to be on a metal surface to work properly, not plastic, or trim, or anything like that. This is a long shot, but anything's worth a shot. Good luck. I hope someone comes up with the right solution for you.

Find the gps antenna. Make sure it's not upside down. Actually, it shouldn't work upside down, but stranger things have happened. The bottom also needs to be on a metal surface to work properly, not plastic, or trim, or anything like that. This is a long shot, but anything's worth a shot. Good luck. I hope someone comes up with the right solution for you.

Huh? He's getting a position already, so antenna location/orientation are absolutely irrelevant here.

I have an F90BT, and I noticed that while in 3D mode the compass does not point in the correct direction while I'm driving.

Haven't seen it doing that... You do realize though that it is the red end of the compass that points North...

Yes, I'm aware that the red end is the directional indicator (I made sure to triple check that in the owner's manual before I went any further).

I pulled the unit out of the dash so I could get to the GPS antenna. I unplugged it, reconnected it, and placed it in a different area to see if this made a difference. No dice. I was traveling eastbound on the Massachusetts turnpike with the red arrow pointing west!! I then headed southbound on I-95 and the red arrow will point south; but if the road curves in a south-easterly direction, the red arrow will say I'm traveling southWEST. Again, north/south is correct but east/west is reversed. I even broke out a manual compass just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I have no idea what is causing this. :?::?::?::?::?:

Yes, I'm aware that the red end is the directional indicator (I made sure to triple check that in the owner's manual before I went any further).

I pulled the unit out of the dash so I could get to the GPS antenna. I unplugged it, reconnected it, and placed it in a different area to see if this made a difference. No dice. I was traveling eastbound on the Massachusetts turnpike with the red arrow pointing west!! I then headed southbound on I-95 and the red arrow will point south; but if the road curves in a south-easterly direction, the red arrow will say I'm traveling southWEST. Again, north/south is correct but east/west is reversed. I even broke out a manual compass just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I have no idea what is causing this. :?::?::?::?::?:

Technically, they are using a wrong phasemodel for the compass sprite... It could be fixed in navigatemap_800_480.ui file if it is that important.

Editing code is a bit above my pay grade but it's good to know that it could be fixed if I were so inclined. I do find it amusing that Pioneer/iGo managed to screw up the most basic component of a navigation system, i.e., the direction the vehicle is traveling. Thanks for the input Boris—as always you have an answer.

beer.jpgbeer.jpg

Editing code is a bit above my pay grade but it's good to know that it could be fixed if I were so inclined. I do find it amusing that Pioneer/iGo managed to screw up the most basic component of a navigation system, i.e., the direction the vehicle is traveling. Thanks for the input Boris—as always you have an answer.

beer.jpgbeer.jpg

I'll take another look at the compass when I get my car back... May be Yuri's mod has it fixed already.