AVIC411.com

Beware Of 3.0 update you can brick your unit!

I and along with others are having problems updating past 3% on the second sd card. Alot of us have tried to copy the files to another sd card with no luck. I will be calling the reps at pioneer at 6 am tommorow and ill let them know the crap we went through for all of us. It would be good to have all failures to respond to this thread so I can direct the main customer service manager to this issue. Im not sure what kind of car you all drive but I own I brand new Corvette $64k aqnd im not happy with opening my dash again. I think we need to petition. If you have problems send them to this thread so I can send them to the people I have beeen told that are in charge of this. If your super upset with the fact that you cant update your pioneer unit please put your complaint here!

Some of you all dont have and issue with opening up your dash and sending it to pioneer but I got a 2009 new vette and I have a house closing a and soon. I was able to get some names to some high exects at pioneer and ill try and helpto resolve this with every one but I cant do it with only one comment. If you had luck god bless you but all the others throw your horor stories here:

Im hoping Im helping

god bless to you all that waited to this disapointment

This is crap if Pioneer want me to pull the unit and send it back to them for a software update. Can anyone here help? I am using the official update. 1st disc was fine. Second disc stopped at 3% and won't go any further. The radio won't do anything else. But I can use testmode and get into windows. Also I am able to get to the service menu where it gives the options to update windows ce. Surely, I can restore the unit without having to send it back to Pioneer. My next idea is to follow the guide for hacked update to 3.0. Is there a reason I couldn't do this? If I can, can I get back to 2.0 after updating to 3.0 and retry the official update?

This is crap if Pioneer want me to pull the unit and send it back to them for a software update. Can anyone here help? I am using the official update. 1st disc was fine. Second disc stopped at 3% and won't go any further. The radio won't do anything else. But I can use testmode and get into windows. Also I am able to get to the service menu where it gives the options to update windows ce. Surely, I can restore the unit without having to send it back to Pioneer. My next idea is to follow the guide for hacked update to 3.0. Is there a reason I couldn't do this? If I can, can I get back to 2.0 after updating to 3.0 and retry the official update?

Yes to every question you have. Just read the hacks thread, there is more info on anything you want to do including reverting back to 2.0. I have the hacked 3.0 and about to downgrade back to 3.0 so i can install my legit version of 3.0 that i have ordered. Just been waiting for the password webpage to come back online..

Ok, so I need to replace the files and folder in My flash Disk with the backup from turboss? Will this put the unit back to factory 2.0? Will it get rid of the unit booting to upgrade mode? Will this affect my device nubmer? After I replace the files, the unit should update with the 2 SD cards from the official update? Looking for some feedback before I start deleting files.

I was able to get at least somewhere with a solution. You will need to have a spare SD card and the ability to transfer files to it. You will need to download testmode from the forum and extract it to the SD card. Next, you will need a back up of your unit. Search the forum for a thread about fixing a rebooting unit. One of the members has an FTP site that has backups of all the models. This will be several rar files. Extract the rar files and it will create a folder for "My Flash Disk". Put this folder on the SD card. So now when you open the SD card, you will have a folder called testmode and another one called My Flash Disk. With the car off, insert the SD card and turn on the car. The system will boot up to windows. Without giving every simple detail, basically you will use windows explorer and delete all the files and folders in "My Flash Disk" that is in the unit. Then you will move the files and folders from the SD card in place of the files you just deleted. After I deleted the files and folders, I simply copied and pasted the whole folder. It takes about 20 mins to copy all the files. When you are done copying, shut off the car, remove the SD card, turn the car back on. You should boot up to a the stereo with version 2.0. After this was complete, I verified that my device number was the same as before using Pioneer SD #2. I shut off the car, put in Pioneer SD #1 and restarted the car. The unit updated itself to 2.1. This is as far as I got during my lunch hour. I will attempt to update to 3.0 after I get home.

I would suggest reading the threads on testmode and the one of fixing a rebooting unit to fully understand what you are doing. My description is very brief. Another note - I was not able to delete the folder called USER, but I didn't get any error when I pasted the new one over it. Oddly enough, I also didn't loose my boot up image, but I did loose my contacts and radio stations. Hopefully, the update will work this time. No idea why it failed. At least with the help of the guys here, I was able to restore the unit WITHOUT Pioneer's help.

Yes, you can go back to 2.0 or 2.06. I had to do it after starting the 3.0 update and finding the password site being down. I had some updated maps that it wiped out (license file)

I also have a backup of the 2.0 at an online file backup place that I can share out if you folks need it.

Put the 3.0 on last night after the site came back online.

It starts much faster than before, I have music within about 5 seconds. Maps are faster to load too, no time guess, but I get map control about a 1/2 block before I would get them on 2.06.

I found a couple things since I had to roll back versions. If you got stuck 1/2 way through and cant get the cards to auto start, you just need to replace a few files at the root of the myflashdrive so the update sees an earlier version, then it will run.

I restored my unit to 2.0, then I used the 1st pioneer SD card to update. Then I used the 2nd card to complete the update. After it accepted my password, it checked the SD card and started the update. At 3%, it crashed again and I am back where I was yesterday. What should I try next????

Is there a reason why I am not able to delete the folder USER under My Flash Drive ? I guess it is related to the wallpaper because after I delete everything it will let me delete, it still have my wallpaper. No idea if that is related to why the unit won't update properly? I also found that after it crashes, if I boot in testmode, it has created a new folder called RENEWAL. If I delete this folder, it will let me somewhat boot up. I can't access the menus and the System in Start Up doens't go away, I can't get to the maps, but I can get to the radio and I can reattempt the update. After it accepts the password, it shows the progress bar, but it is already at 3% and it immediately fails. No idea if any of this helps, but if someone has an idea, I'll give it a try.

What A POS! I hate this unit and if I have to take it out of my 2009 vette im gonna be pissed! I dont understand why a few of ours is messed up in the same spots. Makes me wonder if there is a corrupt file on the second sd card, and if so would some one eleses work? I hate pioneer and I cant belive im even going through this crap! I paid good money for a POS and paid more to update it to it died!