AVIC411.com

Writing new app for F500, help plz.

Hey, I've been coding in Visual Studios for a while and my shiny new F500 has inspired me to try to start writing some apps (or porting ones I currently have) for this awesome unit. Problem is, I've never been able to compile anything that works. I've tried creating a simple "hello world" type app using .net micro framework (heard F500 uses this) as well as the standard "smart device project" that uses .net compact framework, but nothing runs on the F500. I've tested the same simple apps on my smartphone and they work fine. I did choose Windows CE as the target and not Windows Mobile 5 or 6 on my project.

No matter how I do it, I get the error:

Cannot find 'testApp' (or one of its componenets). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available.

This makes me think it doesn't have some necessary dependencies somehow, or it wasn't correctly compiled for this arm platform. Can .NET code not run on this unit? Does it even support CLR?

Obviously copying over core player or leetlauncher works just fine, but I'm not sure how these were compiled. If I could get my hands on a copy of Microsoft Platform builder, I think I could start from scratch and create an SDK for developing apps on this unit, but I haven't been able to find a free copy :)

So my question, what is the correct way to develop/compile code for the F500?

Has anyone done it with some success??

Hey, I've been coding in Visual Studios for a while and my shiny new F500 has inspired me to try to start writing some apps (or porting ones I currently have) for this awesome unit. Problem is, I've never been able to compile anything that works. I've tried creating a simple "hello world" type app using .net micro framework (heard F500 uses this) as well as the standard "smart device project" that uses .net compact framework, but nothing runs on the F500. I've tested the same simple apps on my smartphone and they work fine. I did choose Windows CE as the target and not Windows Mobile 5 or 6 on my project.

No matter how I do it, I get the error:

Cannot find 'testApp' (or one of its componenets). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available.

This makes me think it doesn't have some necessary dependencies somehow, or it wasn't correctly compiled for this arm platform. Can .NET code not run on this unit? Does it even support CLR?

Obviously copying over core player or leetlauncher works just fine, but I'm not sure how these were compiled. If I could get my hands on a copy of Microsoft Platform builder, I think I could start from scratch and create an SDK for developing apps on this unit, but I haven't been able to find a free copy :)

So my question, what is the correct way to develop/compile code for the F500?

Has anyone done it with some success??

I rather doubt that AVIC has .NET framework installed. Try compiling something native...

I rather doubt that AVIC has .NET framework installed. Try compiling something native...

I've never had to compile something native. All the hobby work I've done so far is for desktop pcs which do have .net framework of some sort installed. Is there a way to distill an already existing .net project I have down to native machine code for whatever arm processor the F500 has? Pardon my inexperience in doing this, but that's why I'm asking on here. I'm hoping there'll be someone who has written something for the F500 already that can chime in and say what's been easiest so far.

I've never had to compile something native. All the hobby work I've done so far is for desktop pcs which do have .net framework of some sort installed. Is there a way to distill an already existing .net project I have down to native machine code for whatever arm processor the F500 has? Pardon my inexperience in doing this, but that's why I'm asking on here. I'm hoping there'll be someone who has written something for the F500 already that can chime in and say what's been easiest so far.

I have never seen any (reasonably priced, anyway) product that could take a .NET executable and compile it into native ARM code with no dependencies on framework's libraries. For the desktop, there are some things, but not for mobile devices AFAIK. Easiest would be just coding it in unmanaged C++.

• 7 months later...