AVIC411.com

reboot during startup

I've noticed several people mention a quick reboot between first turning the key to on and then turning it to start. My understanding is that these Z1's are turning off during the "Start" portion of start-up.

My Z1 does not do this. It turns on when I turn the key to on and does not turn off when I turn the key to start. It can be playing music during this time and will not stop this during startup either. (My truck is a diesel so I have to leave the key in the "On" position longer than most people if it's cold outside)

I was wondering if this was something they changed with the post 7/06 firmware version. :?:

Has nothing to do with that. It's just the way your truck is wired. The red wire behnd the radio in most cars loses power when you crank the engine. In the case of your truck that red wire doesn't lose power. Everyone that complains about the z1 dropping out could run a wire from their ignition harness to the z1. Just have to tape a wire that doesn't lose power during cranking.

Has nothing to do with that. It's just the way your truck is wired. The red wire behnd the radio in most cars loses power when you crank the engine. In the case of your truck that red wire doesn't lose power. Everyone that complains about the z1 dropping out could run a wire from their ignition harness to the z1. Just have to tape a wire that doesn't lose power during cranking.

I thought my factory radio cut out during start-up... maybe it didn't.

Everyone that complains about the z1 dropping out could run a wire from their ignition harness to the z1. Just have to tap a wire that doesn't lose power during cranking.

While that is possible, the voltage of the battery of a normal car drops to 7 volts or so while cranking (I believe). I don't know what would happen if the Z1 was still "on" while the voltage was that "low". I don't think having it shut down while cranking is harming the Z1. And it might be better for it not to be running while cranking with the voltage drop. Just a thought. I don't know if it would hurt it or not. Just something to think about.

Everyone that complains about the z1 dropping out could run a wire from their ignition harness to the z1. Just have to tap a wire that doesn't lose power during cranking.

While that is possible, the voltage of the battery of a normal car drops to 7 volts or so while cranking (I believe). I don't know what would happen if the Z1 was still "on" while the voltage was that "low". I don't think having it shut down while cranking is harming the Z1. And it might be better for it not to be running while cranking with the voltage drop. Just a thought. I don't know if it would hurt it or not. Just something to think about.

The amount of voltage drop depends a lot on the age of the battery and the amount of current required to physically crank the engine versus the amount of current the battery can output. Most of the cars and trucks I've worked on the voltage only drops down to about 10 volts. If it drops much lower than that, there's a good possibilty that you'd start losing radio presets and things of that nature when you cank the engine.