AVIC411.com

Sirius Radio Antenna

I am going to add Sirius Satellite to my F900bt, I have a 2007 Ford F-150 Super Crew truck and i have my GPS antenna installed underneath the little tray that is on top of the middle of the dash (those with ford trucks know the tray that I am talking about). I have never had a reception problem with the antenna installed here, what I was wondering was does anyone think that I can also mount the Sat Antenna in the same place and get a good reception, without having to run the antenna cable through the weather stripping to mount it on the roof of the truck. Any advice would be greatfully apreciated, thanks

dont forget there are alot more gps sats than xm sats, depending on where you live, it may work well or it may not work at all. areas with alot of terestial repeaters (big cities) seem to work alot better that places out in the middle of nowhere, i had my XM ant mounted under a small plastic pannel (similar to the f150) and it worked good (95%-97% of the time with just small hicups here and there) but when i went on a cross country trip the reception when to sh!t once i got away from the cities and it didnt work more than it did. i always mount the ant on the roof right above the third brake light in all the f150's i do, reception is perfect and the trucks sit so high that you really cant see the ant, and its very easy to run the wire through,

I always mount GPS antenna's under dashes and i always mount sat antenna's on the roof or trunk lid unless the customer asks for it to be mounted inside (then they have to pay again when they come back to have it moved)

so try it and see if it works good enough for you.

Off topic, but what system are you guys using for your srius/xm. I love sirius, and was looking topurchase the SIR-PNR2, which I thought was plug and play into the HU, but it seems like if i was to purchase i have to purcahse the SCC1 and the USB interface? There is about 50.00 price difference. between purchasing, and I can even find used PNR2 units for 20.00 if I look good enough. So, basically, wha interface are you guys using. Also, on my wifes sport trak, we have the GPS antenna, and her sat rad antenna mounted in the dash, next to each other. No probs really, except when we go under structures. It bleeps out till we clear.

I have Sirius on my Xterra. I installed the antenna on the roof, in the rear. It's right above the hatch and the X is very tall, so you never see it.

But from what I have observed, it would not work well to have the antenna covered at all. If I drive in the garage (which still puts the antenna right near the door), with the door open, I will often lose signal.

It just seems to me that the antenna is not very sensitive and/or it needs a direct line of sight to work well.