AVIC411.com

GPS Antenna Mount location?

Where are you guys mounting the GPS Antenna? A buddy of mine who's supposedly a pretty good installer said this particular antenna needs to be mounted literally on the top of my car, on the outside in order for it to get good enough reception and to not cut out while driving. I'm installing this in a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT by the way. He's very familiar with this car and said whenever he's installed them inside the car either on the dash or somewhere under the tweeters the signal will fade. I haven't installed mine but was going to take it to a local installer who quoted me only $80 to install it. Now I'm worried they're just going to stick the little antenna somewhere convenient that will not get great reception.

Has anyone had any reception problems with where their GPA antenna is mounted?? Would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks

Had my GPS antenna on the roof originally and got a pretty decent signal. I had a new replacement GPS antenna and decided to put it under the dash right above the unit for a more stealth look. It gets the same exact reception and you can't see the antenna at all.

The only thing that will reduce the reception is extremely dense materials like steel or any other metals. Usually the underside of a dashboard is metal-free for the most part.

Hmm, that's what I thought. I think I will just have this shop do it and use their best judgment where to place it. They've been around for over 20 years now and I've known them for at least 13 or 14 and they've always been really good at what they do and very professional. That's why I was a little shocked they only wanted $80 for the install, but I think the guy knew it was me who was calling. Al & Eds up the street who's actually Pioneer dealer wanted $160!

i placed mine right next to the rear view mirror mount using the magnetic pad supplied with the unit. i just wired it through the headliner over to the driver side A pillar, down under the dash, then to the center console/head unit. No reception loss whatsoever. And it looks clean and oem like