AVIC411.com

Text To Spud Conversion

For those who get bored with the AVIC converting a txt file to a spud file might find this utility useful. I found it on another forum.

[attachment=0]spudtxt.rar[/attachment]

Colin

To be exact :) AVIC converts text files to SPDB binary format. SPUDs are, really, for manually entered cameras, so ideally you should just let it run through a full TXT->SPDB conversion...

I previously downloaded a "SPUD - TEXT - SPUD" converter (looks like the same one on this thread). I had issues with the txt file converted to spud when the conversion was done "by the Avic" F500BT. it would reboot from time to time after i loaded the speedcam.txt file. when I converted the txt file to spud first and then put that file on the avic it has been flawless as far as the cam function goes. The sound did not work at all until I entered my first manual cam. Just happenstance, no planning on that fix. Now it is a priceless feature (except the F500BT has a "mute head unit" audio issue - so warnings are made via the avic speaker at present)

• 2 years later...

I've just used this to update my F900BT, quite a lot of hassle so a couple of notes:

Downloaded iGo8 "Download as speedcam" txt file from poiplaza (their website is giving out viruses so beware, if something unusual pops up shut it down with task manager and run a full scan!).

I used spudtxt to convert to spud format but the file had strange carriage return characters (unix maybe)

Open the txt file with Wordpad and NOT notepad (PC only) and save it again to clear these

spudtxt will now convert file ok

Use test mode to copy across to correct location, from memory: my flash disk > apl2 > igo > content > speedcam

Note: unit may ignore test mode files if you dump the poi file in the root of the SD card so just create a folder to keep the SD card root directory clear of junk the unit won't like

Haven't been on any long journeys to check it's operation but the few cameras around here are on it.

Resulting UK Camera POI file attached (date 29/09/2011 on original file)

SpeedcamUpdates.zip

Personally I find the mobile cameras a pain as they are rarely there. Seems like the thing is beeping at every other junction.

I've used debian Linux to strip these out.

debian:~$ wc speedcam.txt

19102 19102 532637 speedcam.txt

debian:~$ nawk ' BEGIN { FS = "," } ; $3 != 5 { print } ' speedcam.txt > speedcam2.txt

debian:~$ wc speedcam2.txt

7340 7340 204745 speedcam2.txt

Stripped down version of the UK Camera POI file attached

SpeedcamUpdates.zip