AVIC411.com

Updated 3.0 firmware, SD card issue

I recently updated my F900BT to 3.0 and after upgrading, i started noticing that the SD card was slow. Before 3.0 the SD card was fast, when playing mp3's from the SD card the device would respond instantly to next track or switching between songs.

I'm using a 16GB SD card but i dont think that is the issue because it worked before.

Any ideas on why the SD card now freezes and i can never play more than 1 song without rebooting?

• 2 weeks later...

what the hell, mine does the same exact thing when playing from SD Card.

Ive noticed that if your SD cards have folders in it, and a folder that your playing from has more then lets say 250-300 songs, once it gets down to the higher numbers its VERY VERY SLOW, sometimes even stops responding to touch completely, only responds to Volume adjustment.

THen when you pop out the SD card, it remembers all the commands and does it super fast, then the SD music screen turns off.

ANYONE HAVE A FIX FOR THIS?

this happened after i updated my WINCE and upgraded to 3.0 ... i even tried with 3.01 ..but same issue.

Conversation with Pioneer support

On Sept 14,2009:

I will remove all media, CD, SD card, and USB Drive and hold reset for 10 seconds. I have reset but for only one or two seconds. I will respond with results.

On Sept 16, 2009

I think I have got the solution to this issue!

This AVICF700bt was made with only so much (free) memory. With Ver 2 or 2.06 the unit had no problem with the 1.6 GIGs of music all in one directory on the 2 gig chip. Now this new version 3 update must take up and uses more memory for it basic operations and new enhancements (great stuff) leaving less free memory.

Maybe or maybe not Pioneer intended to have music titles all in subdirectories under a "music" directory.

I did not.

I have now made subdirectories by artist name leaving only about 80 megs under the main "music" directory and the 700bt has no problem with this. Its operation is quick and flawless.

________

DAG

So what did u do, just remove the song names from all the mp3's and just left the artists name on? I have a 8 gig sd card with just under 5 gig of mp3 on it no folders, and i too get screen freezes and buttons do nothing. If i turn the volume knob then the timer would move for a couple of sec then freeze again. Sometimes i can go through a couple of songs with no problems but then it freezes again. it even takes like a minute or so to randomly change to the next song. This happens with a usb stick as well. Worked perfect in the 2.06 firmware. Is this what everyone else is going through? So you are telling us to shorten the song titles or something to free up memory?

What it sounds like it is trying to cache most of the MP3s into memory for some reason, and with less availible RAM after the patch, it starts having trouble.

If I understand correctly, instead of having all of the songs in a single folder, he split them by artist, and didn't have more than 80Mb in each folder.

If that is true, if I left the unit on Random->Card, will it still operate like how it was organized before? Or will I have to change folders?

I'll have to try this later when I get home.

HOLLY SHIT!!! It works awsome!! No more frezzing and everything plays fantastic like it should. If i would of known this when the hack 3.01 came out i would'nt of bought the update from pioneer!! I have 750 songs made 6 folders and split them up in each folder and wow, it works grat!! THANKS!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Hey everyone, I have encountered issues with my SD card after 3.0 but I already had all of them separated by Music/Genre/Artist. They work perfectly fine/fast BUT the unit decides to scan thru folders randomly and I cant stop it. Then I go back to the song I was initially play and it works fine, but not always. There are some songs that do it but not all the time, I dont know its really weird. It never did this on 2.0

I also reformatted the SD (FAT32) and re-added all my songs. An input would be appreciated! Thanks!

From A Conversation with Pioneer support

I have since checked all of my sub directories under my "music" directory. One of them had just over 90 megs in it . No problem.

I think the issue is how much free memory is there? There must be a level or limit at which it will operate properly below. The 1.6 gigs I was use to before, now put the machine over its thinking edge. Dividing it up into subdirectories so it doesn't see it all at once and allows it to function/think.

I have since moved from a 2 gig SD card onto a 8 gig SDHC card. The 700bt's limit.

You may need a new usb card reader for the "HC" in SDHC

All is well!

DAG :)

next 3.01 hack?

• 3 weeks later...

Speed in 3.0 is a serious bug. Ok.. not serious at the "can't navigate" level, but I think, serious at the "can't meet original specifications" level.

I did a bit of video on an SD card last summer, for playback on the F500. This played very well... very consumery, no PC-like glitching or any other problems. Well, one problem... I put in 16:9 640x360 video, and the player in the F500 totally ignored the aspect ratio. It just stretched the 640 pixels out to 800, rather than scaling 640x360 out to 800x480 as it should have. But it was very watchable, if you could ignore worlds populated by short, wide people.

I made a series of video clips, in MP4, WMV, MPEG, and DivX AVI, at different resolutions, just to see what might the right answer to the question of "best full screen video on the F500". The problem... with the 3.0 software in there, everything stutters. Lower bitrate stuff that played oddly but full-speed under 2.0 now stutter. You see a bit of video play, then a jump ahead, then another bit play.. even with video down to 500kb/s. This was all from class 6 SDHC card.. fast enough to record (and play) full HD 1080/60p video.