AVIC411.com

e breke message?

Not sure I totally understand. Is there a difference between "floating" and "disconnected"? I have a manual shift but rarely use my parking break. So if I understand you correctly, I should just have them leave the parking break wire disconnected?
[quote name="Anonymous"]Not sure I totally understand. Is there a difference between "floating" and "disconnected"? I have a manual shift but rarely use my parking break. So if I understand you correctly, I should just have them leave the parking break wire disconnected?[/quote]

Floating and disconnected mean the same thing. Yes, you should leave it disconnected.

If you want to know how it actually works and interacts with the parking brake read on, there is another way, but I think it's messy. My recommendation is leave it disconnected and tape it up so it doesn't accidentally connect to anything else.

If you install it, and you have the parking brake on (grounded) then flashing your headlights won't work. But if you ground it all the time (or leave the parking brake on slightly, enough to ground the wire but not enough to stop the car) and you try to watch a DVD once you start moving, the head unit will detect that and figure you have your parking brake wire installed incorrectly, since it's impossible to be moving with the parking brake on

(they haven't ever been in any car I have ever owned then, you can absolutely drive around with the parking brake on, which doesn't say a lot for me, but it says even less for the parking brake, I changed the name of mine to the "make the car smell funny lever"... I love Mitch Headberg)... but I digress

Since it's impossible to move with the parking brake on, it figures that you have it connected inproperly. And then it will disregard what that wire is connected to. Then, once you try to do something you shoudln't and it yells at you for hooking it up wrong, then will the headlight flashing work. So it's not an absolute pre-requesit for headlight flashing to work... having the parking brake disconnected. You can ground it permanently, but you will have to try to do something you shoudn't while in motion and have the car yell at you before flashing your lights will work.

That is why I recomment leaving it disconnected.
[quote name="Anonymous"]OK got it! I'm sure you're sick and tired of idiots like me bothering you all the time, but I do appreciate your tenacity. Thanks again.[/quote]

That's alright. These posts are all getting so long and so "out of hand" it's hard for a person just joining the scene to understand it all with what's posted in the order it's posted in, there is a lot of our learning curves out there.

I'm going to post an entire install and Q and A document which I'll bet JasonH would make a sticky for me and hopefully everyone can just point people to it.