AVIC411.com

Why does navigation direction end before the destination?

I hope I have something configured wrong. I had two navigation systems prior to this one and neither of them had this problem.

For some reason navigation tells me I have arrived at the destination about a .1 of a mile before I get there. When I look at the Z1 it shows the destination, my car, and a red line between them. So it knows that I am not there but it says I am and stops giving me directions (both voice and visual).

An example of this happened today on the way to work. I have my work entered as the "Go To" destination. There was an accident on the freeway and I had to get off. The Z1 rerouted me and I was more than a block away from work when it tells me you have arrived at the destination. Note that the destination is not straight ahead. I still had 3 more turns before I reached work.

My previous navigation systems would take me to the front door. It does this going home also. When I enter my community, it says you have arrived when I still have two more turns to get to my street.

Noooo! That is not the answer I wanted to hear! :evil: Why doesn't anyone talk about this? This is a huge issue. This makes Pioneer inferior to my 2000 Jeep navigation which had a screen that was less than half the size of the Z1 and it was not touch screen. I live in the Phoenix area and put a Las Vegas hotel destination in the Jeep and it took me right to the front door of the hotel.

I am now starting to have buyer's remorse. First I am very disappointed with NavTraffic now I find this. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Here is a little more detail. I was going north on the 101. There was an accident today and traffic was backing up so I got off the freeway before my exit. The Z1 routed me roughly where the red line is in the picture. When I reached the red circle it said I had reached my destination. My destination is actually where the green arrow is. As you can see I still have two turns to go around a city block. This is unacceptable. I can't believe this. I really can't believe this is considered standard.

post-2370-12872751334308_thumb.jpg

So youre telling us that even though you put in the address for that secondary road on the map, the AVIC said you arrived while still on on Northsight Blvd, before making the turns? My unit usually tells me a house or two before I am actually there that I arrived, but this sounds like embellishment to an extreme.

Could it be that its new route wanted to take you to E Raintree Dr. and you turned early ? When I take a road close to the planned route sometimes the nav unit continues to track on the planned road instead of moving over to the road I'm on . Then once you get too close to your destination it can't reroute you . If I don't have a destination loaded in it does follow me onto the road I'm taking . It seems to hold onto the planned route too long. If thats the case and you were going somewhere you didn't already know how to get to you would have turned onto E Raintree and been taken closer to your destination . I have a Tomtom and it is better at navigation in this area . The longer I own my D2 the happier I am with it . Maybe you just need to give it some more time. Sorry about the long post , I think I'm having problems with my summary chip .

So youre telling us that even though you put in the address for that secondary road on the map, the AVIC said you arrived while still on on Northsight Blvd, before making the turns? My unit usually tells me a house or two before I am actually there that I arrived, but this sounds like embellishment to an extreme.

Could it be that its new route wanted to take you to E Raintree Dr. and you turned early ?

I never changed the destination. When I got off the freeway the Z1 rerouted me automatically. It said I arrive as soon as I made it to that corner. I am going to try the exact same path tomorrow just to confirm.

It seemed to be better coming home. This time it said I arrived at my destination when I was just two houses away from my home. One thing I should mention is that when I enter my home address the Z1 changes it to a range. So it never saves my exact address. I don't see how it can know when it is at my house if it won't store my exact address.

I was running late today and didn't have time to take the detour route. I'll try again tomorrow. The Z1 did a much better job today for my normal route. It routed me directly to my building. It still says I am at the destination a little before I actually arrive. It appears that this is by design. If that is true they should consider changing it so that it performs the way other navigation products do.

Okay, I had a chance to test the re-routing again today. This time the Z1 took me on a slightly different path and got me to my destination. Why different this time? The answer is my destinations are slightly different. Today I had the actual address entered in. A few days ago I had my parking spot entered in (At my job I have an assigned parking space).

When I had my other navigation systems I would sit in my parking spot and tell the system to save my current location. Then when I navigate to work the systems would take me right to my spot. The Z1 doesn't like this. I think it is because my parking spot is not a real address. To most navigation systems it is "off road". A few days ago when the Z1 was trying to route me to my parking spot it must have just given up when I was "close" to it. I guess it figured I needed to go off road to get to it even though I was on the other side of the block.

Needless to say this is unacceptable in a navigation system. If other systems can handle this then the Z1 should too. This is how my other systems handled it. They would also stop giving directions once I got close because according to the map there is no more road. However the other systems didn't say "you have arrived..." They would just stop talking and show on the screen the destination. It was then up to me to follow the line on the screen. Once I reached the destination then they would say I have arrived.

If anyone out there has the interest try going to a mall, park in the center, and save the location. Drive away (about a quarter mile) and then have the Z1 route you back. I'll bet it says "you have arrived at the destination" when you get to the mall. I love Pioneer products and have only own them for the last 20 years, but after having a taste of better navigation I can say this Z1 might "be arriving at Ebay".

Actually I am kidding, having all my music, navigation, and soon my phone integrated into one unit is exactly what I want. So I'll put up with the average navigation for now since I only have one parking spot to navigate to. :wink: