AVIC411.com

Using US F500BT in Europe...

Hello people,

I am one of these europeans that is somewhat annoyed at being denied the voicebox option in our overseas european F500BT's. I read through the post on a possible hack to enable this feature with great interest to find out in the end that there is a hardware difference between the models. So we are not gonna get it.

Now I am thinking of getting a US model and having it shipped over to the EU. I count on the US model being preloaded with US and/or Canadian maps. This seems a simple matter of loading the unit with the european ones. The US pioneer website however says that the US versions of this product will NOT work with the european maps due to them being of a different format. Of course this is the legal way to look at this problem and I am interested in finding out if, apart from the legal ways, there are others to get this to work. My question deal with the usage of this unit in the EU in general, so there are other things to consider. To round it up:

1. Is there a way to use a US model in the EU with up to date EU maps?

2. Is there any other functionality this unit has (TMC service, the BT module (I use a BlackBerry), Ipod control etc) that will suffer from taking the unit to the EU?

3. Is there any technical reason (voltage, carstuff) that would make it a bad idea to try and buy a US unit as an EU member?

4. Is there any other problem I am not thinking of at the moment that would make it a bad idea?

I am aware that some of you will say that going through all this just for the voicebox isnt going to be worth it because of the limited stability of this feature. I would still like to know if it is at least possible. I have no problem with having to do some extensive hacking, as long as I will be able to find some info and how-to's just like the ones on this forum.

I plan to also use the matching ND-G500 by the way, just in case that is relevant to the questions.

I am sorry if these very questions have been dealt with elsewhere in this forum, I havent been able to find all the answers yet. Thanks to all who would be so kind to reply...

Bultrug, the Netherlands

Seeing that you wrote such a long post, see answers in red below. All detailed information can be found on the forum. Here are some relevant links:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26551&p=182080#p182080

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=26836&p=185401#p185401

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26795

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26223&p=180914#p180914

Hello people,

I am one of these europeans that is somewhat annoyed at being denied the voicebox option in our overseas european F500BT's. I read through the post on a possible hack to enable this feature with great interest to find out in the end that there is a hardware difference between the models. So we are not gonna get it.

Now I am thinking of getting a US model and having it shipped over to the EU. I count on the US model being preloaded with US and/or Canadian maps. This seems a simple matter of loading the unit with the european ones. The US pioneer website however says that the US versions of this product will NOT work with the european maps due to them being of a different format. Of course this is the legal way to look at this problem and I am interested in finding out if, apart from the legal ways, there are others to get this to work. My question deal with the usage of this unit in the EU in general, so there are other things to consider. To round it up:

1. Is there a way to use a US model in the EU with up to date EU maps?

Hacked ezrider.exe with original or illeagally available ones.

2. Is there any other functionality this unit has (TMC service, the BT module (I use a BlackBerry), Ipod control etc) that will suffer from taking the unit to the EU?

Everything works, except TMC, which is different hardware inside the cradle. You get MSN Direct instead.

3. Is there any technical reason (voltage, carstuff) that would make it a bad idea to try and buy a US unit as an EU member?

No technical reason. Even the home adapter is 110-240V. Will need a EU plug only.

4. Is there any other problem I am not thinking of at the moment that would make it a bad idea?

Its a good idea, as long as you prefer the much lower cost to the risk of chasing warranty+no TMC without buying extra cradle

I am aware that some of you will say that going through all this just for the voicebox isnt going to be worth it because of the limited stability of this feature. I would still like to know if it is at least possible. I have no problem with having to do some extensive hacking, as long as I will be able to find some info and how-to's just like the ones on this forum.

I plan to also use the matching ND-G500 by the way, just in case that is relevant to the questions.

I am sorry if these very questions have been dealt with elsewhere in this forum, I havent been able to find all the answers yet. Thanks to all who would be so kind to reply...

Bultrug, the Netherlands

Thanx Miotoo,

You have been very helpfull. Nice to know that it is at least possible. Waranty doesn't bug me that much. The TMC is a bit of a drawback. I read the post about somebody asking where to get it en I am sure I could find a EU cradle, the thing that really worries me is having to flash to EU-mode. The reason for getting a US model was the voicebox feature. I mean the price is a bonus, but it was the voicecommands I was after. Won't the EU flash-thingy make the unit drop the voicebox option? Has anyone gotten a US unit to work with EU TMC anyway? I mean, does anyone have proof that the reflash does actually work, and if so, after flashing to EU mode, was the voicebox functionality still present? Any insights on that would be appreciated!

Bultrug

Yeah thanx snoop,

I have already been at Halfords. The unit was in the store hooked up to a powersource and available to get 'hands-on' with. They actually run the 2009 maps now, so basically its good to go. I knew about that price and that's the reason I wasn't really in it for the money. With shipping costs + the price I will have to pay to get the TMC working, getting a US unit isnt really worth it, moneywise. The voice-thing was my sole reason. I guess if noone can confirm you can get both TMC and voice working on a US unit in the EU, it seems that I will have to choose between hasslefree+TMC or Voicebox.

Darn, and I love my Ipod so much. I listen to it almost continuously during all my rides. Would have loved to be able to access albums and playlists without having to actually work the pod or a touchscreen. It really annoys me that Pioneer themselves have decided the VoiceBox wasn't really meant for europe i.s.o. asking the customer.

Well if noone can confirm that TMC + Voice + Maps can be used in europe together, I guess this thread is closed.

PS. Snoop, thanx for the info on Halfords. Although I already knew, it doesnt mean I didn't appreciate you trying to help.

Hi Bultrug,

you need to ask Miotoo, he wanted to purchase a TMC cradle from Pioneer but is was sold out a couple of weeks ago.

I purchased at Amazon a USA model (still waiting for it) because of the VoiceBox, I'm curious too if the TMC cradle will work with a USA model.

Snoop