AVIC411.com

get audio from oem headunit to Z1? possible?

hello,

i have a 03 accord 7th gen

the oem headunit have a 6 disc changer. i'm wondering if i can still use it as audio ouput into one of the aux audio in for the Z1?

is there a cable adapter that i can replace or splice to give me a composite audio output? where i can input into the aux in the Z1?

i would hate to waste the 6 disc changer.

thanks

picture of the plug for the oem headunit

the best i can find

24.jpg

Does the 6 disk changer have it's own controls? if so, then there probably is a way, you might need to cut and splice. But I believe the controls on the cd changer are in the head unit and aren't you removing that from the system? If so then you will have to lose the changer as well.

I take it you're going to be putting the z1 down below the stock radio where the pocket thing is. To retain function of your stock 6 disc changer and the z1, you're going to need some parts. I'll put links with pics of the parts to try and help.

71-1721 - This harness plugs into the back of the stock radio.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_i ... it=71-1721

70-1721 - This harness plugs into the car's wiring.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_i ... it=70-1721

Adjustable line output convertor.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ns-60

Short rca cable.

So here's how to wire it all up. First on the 71-1721 harness remove the wires for the rear speakers (green, green/black, purple, purple/black). Now tie the line output convertor to the front speaker leads of the 71-1721 (white, white/black, gray, gray/black). With that done, the next step is to wire up the power wires of 71-1721 to the same color wires on the 70-1721. The only wire on the 70-1721 that you don't want to hook up to the 71-1721 will be the blue wire. With those two harnesses tied in, you can now hook the z1's harness to the speaker wires of the 70-1721 and the blue wire of the 70-1721 as well. You can tap the illumination wire of the z1 to those harnesses as well. Now the power accessory and ground wires of the z1 harness. I would suggest going to the ignition harness for your power for the z1 since I've had problems with powering both an aftermarket and the stock radio from the radio harness. So black goes to ground. At the ignition harness white is the constant feed, and black/red is the acceseory feed. Once you got all that wired up run the rca from the lineout convertor to the av input of the z1. The other option is to get a cd-rb10 which would give you an aux input on the back of the z1 and free up the av input. Make sure you turn the gain dials on the lineout convertor at least half way down. If the sound from the changer seems to be a lot different then fm or dvd adjust the lineout convertor to compensate. If this seems a bit complex, sorry I can try ddrawing a diagram if that'll help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey everything works out great.

followed your instruction to the dot. except i powerd both from the same source. it's working fine.

sound quality is great. have to turn the converter down a lil.

ONLY problem is that now i lost control from the steering wheel.

i guess there's a wire in the harness that serve that function and the two harness i got didn't support that wire.

any chance you know which wire in the harness i need to connect?

thanks for all the help