AVIC411.com

AVIC Feeds iPhone App

This app is certainly a powerful addition to the nav unit. I used it last night actually to find a restaurant that was not included in the POI database of the unit. I was able to find the restaurant with the iphone app, re sync my BT contacts, and choose the POI from contacts all on the fly in real time while driving down the road. Awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I tested this today, and was able to use a photo taken earlier (a week ago) and it did work.

Yes, you must select it from the Camera Roll (not an album), and for some reason it took a long while to appear on the head unit, but it (eventually) showed up.

If they wanted to really make it useful, they would implement

(a) being able to click on the ADDRESS of a contact to send the search results to the maps app, to then return the address location

(B) use the full google maps functionality (rather than the cut-down embedded version in their app)

Rob

I found a possible solution to this, though I agree they should have included this in the app:

1. In Itunes I selected sync with Google Contacts and then all my contacts were synced into my gmail account (once I logged in).

2. Went to my gmail account and opened a contact with an address and it had a google map link, click on that and then you can send the result it to Pioneer just like you looked it up manually (dunno why Google maps doesn't save "send to Pioneer" as my default). Of course if this could all be scripted for all your contacts it would be nice... At least it's less typing...

3. It seems like you have to save the results to a .KML file (you will be prompted if you try to leave the Google Maps page of Avic Feeds) and then go to the previous window and then you can open the .KML file and send it to the SD card.

Haven't gone through and tried importing it on the Z (where the Avic Feeds button is greyed out normally), but seems like this would be the process...

Can you say CLUNKY??

• 1 month later...

Has anyone figured out if this iPhone app can also be installed on an iPod Touch?

I've got a 2nd Gen iPod Touch that has bluetooth, it seems logical that it should work, right?

Seems like a very cool app to have. Unfortunately iTunes won't let it install for me. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get this installed on an iPod Touch, please feel free to throw it out there.

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone figured out if this iPhone app can also be installed on an iPod Touch?

The app is only developed to be supported on the Phone so there is no official support intended for the Touch. There may be a way to get it installed if you hack the Touch but I would bet on it.