AVIC411.com

Direction Arrow Unstable

The direction arrow that shows the direction the car is pointing slowly drifts off course. This happens all the time - I reset the direction in the Settings menu and within five miles it is pointing 90 degrees to the actual direction. When this happens, the position on the map is still OK, but navigation to a destination goes screwy - it seems to be giving detour instructions to try to get the car pointed in the proper direction to get to the destination.

I have occassionally seen the "vibration" warning in the Hardware screen but not often and the problem occurs even when this warning isn't there.

Everything else works fine - Sirius, iPod, backup camera, maps, etc. Any suggestions?

I would check the connection status:

MENU - SETTINGS - HARDWARE - CONNECTION STATUS

Look at the speed pulse wire ant the GPS data. It sounds like the thing might be getting movement signals from something. See if the speed pulse is showing a number when moving. See if the GPS signal strength is ok.

There are also internal sensors for rotation and acceleration, under

MENU - SETTINGS - HARDWARE - 3D (something)

You might want to reset all those points.

It could also be a failure in one of those sensors thinking you are rotating. Is your Z1 mounted at a 90 degree angle to the standard motion of travel? There is a setting if it's pointed towards the driver or passenger.

How old is your unit? If you are getting those vibration warnings often it could be causing the units gyro to become uncalibrated. If it is physically affecting the gyro I am not sure how to fix it for sure except maybe some warranty work. I know that the guy who sold me mine warned me that extended use on really rough roads (read: patch roads) could eventually cause interesting results with the gyro.

• 3 weeks later...
The direction arrow that shows the direction the car is pointing slowly drifts off course. This happens all the time - I reset the direction in the Settings menu and within five miles it is pointing 90 degrees to the actual direction. When this happens, the position on the map is still OK, but navigation to a destination goes screwy - it seems to be giving detour instructions to try to get the car pointed in the proper direction to get to the destination.

I have occassionally seen the "vibration" warning in the Hardware screen but not often and the problem occurs even when this warning isn't there.

Everything else works fine - Sirius, iPod, backup camera, maps, etc. Any suggestions?

I am having the exact same problem. My unit was working fine, for two weeks and all the suddenly the pointer started drifting out of control. I will try Ducatiboy's suggestion.

Are you still having this problem and if not, what did you do to fix it?