AVIC411.com

Are all mics made equal?

Can I purchase a different mic for Z110? Every person I have spoke to on it says its a little bit difficult to understand me but I never had a problem with my old Bluetooth. The old one was a hardwired motorola bluetooth car kit (IHF1000). Maybe I can use the mic that came from that but I am not sure if it has a potential to damage the HU.

I have tried different placements and it seems like 8" away from my face is the best position but this means I have to lean forward since its placed by the rear view mirror.

The motorola mic design is a little different and its shaped like the letter "D". Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks all.

You can safely change the microphone, there is no way a microphone could damage the HU anyway. Search the forum for the word "microphone" and you will find several posts that refer to using different mic's. Some have used their factory installed microphones and some have purchased and had good results with a microphone made by Garmin for their Sat Nav units.