AVIC411.com

AVIC-F500BT STARTUP SCREEN FROZEN

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere on the forum, I am new here. I recently updated my AVIC-F500BT to the new 2009 map, which I purchased direct from Pioneer Canada. The AVIC was purchased new April 09 and has not been "hacked" in any way. The installation went well and worked flawlessly for the past two weeks. However, yesterday I went use the unit and found the the system permanently has "System startup in progress. Please wait". Many of the features still work such as the iPod and settings features however, bluetooth and the maps do not recognize! All the while the same system phrase is supimposed on the screen, even after an entire hour.

I have tried the reset button many times with no luck. I also tried to remove the battery, no luck. Next I tried to reinstall the CNSD-150FM SD card maps, however the unit won't read them. I'm beginning to get very frustrated with this and must have turned the unit ON and OFF 30 times, just hoping it will magically work! :(

Could someone please help me out with a solution. I would REALLY appreciate it!!

many thanks,

Ross

I just recent started getting the same symptoms from my unit. No hacks, just generic 2009 map and software upgrade.

Here's the curious thing.. mine worked just dandy, after the upgrade, for just about two weeks. Now the "System startup in progress. Please wait." bit never clears, and effectives renders the unit useless.

Same thing whether I'm in range of a satellite or down in my cellar, whether on car power (through the amplifier unit) or plugged into the wall wart.

I do wonder if all these upgraded units are going to start dropping like flies, or if we're just the "lucky" few.

Pioneer's support folks don't have any additional advice... they want the unit back for repairs. Fortunately, mine was still well under warranty. If not, you have to include either $75 or $200, depending on whether you can convince them this is a "mobile" GPS unit and not an in-dash model. That's about the "new" price on Amazon, depending on when you look.

Sent it back this week... they claim average return is one week from their receipt of the unit.

• 1 month later...

Well, so much for the "one week" thing.. I just got the F500 back today.

Checked it out -- it's working again, so at least the $20 I spend to ship it (and the amplifier unit, which had also failed) back to Pioneer was likely worth it.

Sadly, no explanation from Pioneer about the problem. So the only advice to offer: this kind of failure probably indicates a real hardware problem, it could take awhile, and if it's under warranty, they will fix it. But don't expect any communications.