AVIC411.com

Clarification on flash

I'm having my Z1 installed this Saturday. I searched the area for an installer that would do the bypass for me and none was willing to do it. I ended up at a authorized Pioneer dealer to do it and I understand their position on doing the bypass, so for now untill I do find someone, I'll have to do the "flash" step I guess.

Just for clarification sake, when you mention flashing the headlights, are you meaning: 1 - turning the headlights on and off with the switch or 2 - are meaning flashing the lights from low beam to high beam? I know, that's a simple question, but it may have been unclear to others as well. I did at least get the dealer to match Crutchfields price, so I saved $400 there.

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to get it installed. It will be so much better than my portable Garmin, which is an excellent unit, but not in the same league as the Z1. I have no interest in watching DVD's while driving, but I will miss the other advantages of the bypass.

Anymore word on the updated maps? Somewhere, someone heard that the new updates would be a download this time. That is what Garmin does. You download the maps, but then you have to pay for them with your credit card to get a activation key. That stops the pirated CDs. :cry:

I'm having my Z1 installed this Saturday. I searched the area for an installer that would do the bypass for me and none was willing to do it. I ended up at a authorized Pioneer dealer to do it and I understand their position on doing the bypass, so for now untill I do find someone, I'll have to do the "flash" step I guess.

Are you sure you have a unit that is made before July '06? If you're just now getting it installed I'm assuming you just purchased it, I'd be surprised if they had one in stock from before July.

All of that to tell you, the light flashing is probably not going to work. You'll have to do the bypass to gain the added functionality you would like.

I have actually talked to people who just bought units from stores and they were Pre-July units. One was made in April and was bought in November. So they are still out there. It's more common to get a post-July one but anything is possible.

All instructions are here:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html

And it's on the site, but it's lights off to lights on and then back to lights off.

I got it installed and it was built in March of 2006. I expected it to be a pre-July unit as this is only the second one that has been purchased and installed in this city. My friend has the other one. The flashing of the headlights does work on it OK. The installer left the parking brake wire exposed in case I wanted to put a switch in for it.

So far I have found that the maps are not as accurate as those in my Garmin 2720 (which were just updated). Hopefully, the new release will correct that. The Z1 has a heck of a time in giving me a good distination route. I couldn't believe some of the routes it has given me so far. Must do some more reading on how to correct routes and to use the learning feature as I can tell I'm going to need to know how. Are others having a hard time getting a good route?

I miss not being able to add additional POI's like I did in the Garmin. I had added a ton into it.

I installed the CrimeStopper Platecam and that works pretty well. Had to do some motification on the plate as it came to close to the backend door handle on the 06 Honda Pilot. Still tight fit, but can open door at least.

FYI: If you also plan on putting a unit into a Pilot, there is not a trim kit for it, as yet. They expect one after the first of the year, so for now there is a small gap on both sides of the unit. I will change that as soon as one is available.

Still don't have the Bluetooth unit in yet, on backorder. Can't wait to complain about it with the rest of you. :lol:

The AM/FM antenna didn't work either, so that had to be reordered. Did get Sirius installed OK. I can't live without that.