AVIC411.com

formatting a hard drive with exFAT

Hi everyone,

I'm prepping a hard drive I have (250GB WD Passport) for use with my F700BT. I can only format with exFAT (FAT64). I've read that I should format as FAT32, but because the hard drive is larger than FAT32 can support I have to format it with exFAT. Has anyone done this?

It's a very tedious task of moving over 150GB of files, and if I can get clarification regarding this it'll help. Else, I'll have to purchase a 100GB hard drive and use that for my files (while formatting it with FAT32).

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm prepping a hard drive I have (250GB WD Passport) for use with my F700BT. I can only format with exFAT (FAT64). I've read that I should format as FAT32, but because the hard drive is larger than FAT32 can support I have to format it with exFAT. Has anyone done this?

It's a very tedious task of moving over 150GB of files, and if I can get clarification regarding this it'll help. Else, I'll have to purchase a 100GB hard drive and use that for my files (while formatting it with FAT32).

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

FAT32 support _far_ bigger drives than puny 250GB.

that's odd. Windows7 disagrees with that.

I did this in command prompt:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

It errored out saying the drive was too large. Perhaps windows7 just doesn't like it. I might be running 64-bit windows though, although I don' t think that should matter. Any information regarding formatting using exFAT?

that's odd. Windows7 disagrees with that.

I did this in command prompt:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

It errored out saying the drive was too large. Perhaps windows7 just doesn't like it. I might be running 64-bit windows though, although I don' t think that should matter. Any information regarding formatting using exFAT?

Vista, or 7, just do not like formatting large drives with FAT32 for some Microsoft's reasons. Use a third-party tool, i.e. something from here:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html#format