AVIC411.com

F90BT to Z110BT

I just had my z110bt installed, and the installer left the illumination wire dangling. I went back two days later and had him hook it up because the screen is so bright at night.

I have a 2005 avalanche (onstar and bose, I have the adapter to keep both), when he hooked up the illumination wire he hooked it up to the illumination wire coming out of the harness. however lights on or off screen stays the same, also when I go the connections screen with the lights on or off the illumination always says off.

Suggestions?

An update on my upgrade: I was having a strange issue with voice recognition, which I addressed by removing the microphone left over from the F90BT install and replacing it with the one that came with the Z110BT.

For some reason I could almost never get the CALL command to be recognized, yet all other commands seemed fine (even complex ones like finding an address). I no longer get these while using the proper microphone. I also took this opporunity to mount the microphone in the factory location, behind a screen/grate in the small overhead console in my 2005 Audi A4. Nice clean look compared to the old microphone "professionally" installed hanging down from the front edge of the headliner.

I similarly swapped the antenna due to poor reception, which may have been due to the crappy install of the previous one rather than an issue with the antenna itself (the previous installers committed a long list of sins that I won't go into, but to give you an idea - they broke my windshield when doing the microphone install). Along with locating and connecting the VSS wire I now have a smoother and more accurate map.

I gave up on the illumination wire though. It turns out I couldn't find a single thing on the car that is powered up only when the headlights are on (other than the headlights themselves) and didn't feel it was worth messing with any further. Adjusting the dimmer and color temperature gives me a screen I'm happy with day and night.