AVIC411.com

How to: add left/right announce of destination

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F.Y.I All

I tried the left right destination announce using Samantha and found it too unreliable. About half the time it announced the destination on the wrong side of the street. In one case I know the nav knows the destination is on the right but the announce says it is on the left.

Example of wrong announce:

I went to Fry's Electronics in Anaheim, CA. It is at 3370 E La Palma Ave, Anaheim, CA 92806. When I approach Fry's is on the right but the destination announce says I reached my destination on the left. If I approach from the west the nav tells me to go past Fry's and make a u-turn (it must think there is a divider) then again it tells me I reached my destination on the left. Obviously it knew it was on the right or it would not have told me to make a u-turn.

No matter if you approached from the east or west samantha said it was on the left each time? So far I haven't experienced anything like that. The only place it's been wrong is when my home address was entered, the map data had my house on the north side of the street so it said I reached my destination on the left. I then programmed my house with an even number and it's been right since. I'll have to try it coming from the other direction some time and see if there's a difference. Every where I've routed to it's been correct. Has any one else experienced something link vansmack2? BTW - There have been 150 downloads so far and one issue reported. Let's hear the good and the bad.

I entered the address and from the east it said you have arrived at your via point on the right. When I approached it from the west it had me make a u-turn and still said arrive on the right. The street numbers on the screen matched the destination address showing it would be on the right.

Check the street numbers as opposed to the announcement, the destination must announce the same side as the street numbers show. If the map data is wrong, the destination announcement will also be wrong.

FWIW- My maps are from the update cards. Tele Atlas, California 2008.10 [090508] running with the original hacked ezrider for 3.0.

And here's a shot of the address approaching from the west. Notice the house number on the bottom. The announcement matched the house number indicating destination on the right.

[attachment=0]someplace in california.jpg[/attachment]

How about making the flag wave on the side of the destination. I think my old D3 had that feature.

And here's a shot of the address approaching from the west. Notice the house number on the bottom. The announcement matched the house number indicating destination on the right.

[attachment=1]someplace in california.jpg[/attachment]

How about making the flag wave on the side of the destination. I think my old D3 had that feature.

Remove the bmp from the zip and drop it in your common folder and your flags will wave.

My flags already wave. I was just saying to make it wave on the side of the destination. Wave on right for riight and left for left.

Remove the bmp from the zip and drop it in your common folder and your flags will wave.
My flags already wave. I was just saying to make it wave on the side of the destination. Wave on right for riight and left for left.

I wish I was that talented to figure that out. Maybe in my next life.

It was just a thought. No big deal. I do know that my D3 had it that way. So maybe it is in there but its hidden like they hid the left/right BS.

This thing is like atari from the late 70's where they had everyone trying to uncover easter eggs. I just can't believe one year later and I'm still messing with this trying to make it better than they sold it to us. Why, oh why, oh why?

F.Y.I All

I tried the left right destination announce using Samantha and found it too unreliable. About half the time it announced the destination on the wrong side of the street. In one case I know the nav knows the destination is on the right but the announce says it is on the left.

Example of wrong announce:

I went to Fry's Electronics in Anaheim, CA. It is at 3370 E La Palma Ave, Anaheim, CA 92806. When I approach Fry's is on the right but the destination announce says I reached my destination on the left. If I approach from the west the nav tells me to go past Fry's and make a u-turn (it must think there is a divider) then again it tells me I reached my destination on the left. Obviously it knew it was on the right or it would not have told me to make a u-turn.

No matter if you approached from the east or west samantha said it was on the left each time? So far I haven't experienced anything like that. The only place it's been wrong is when my home address was entered, the map data had my house on the north side of the street so it said I reached my destination on the left. I then programmed my house with an even number and it's been right since. I'll have to try it coming from the other direction some time and see if there's a difference. Every where I've routed to it's been correct. Has any one else experienced something link vansmack2? BTW - There have been 150 downloads so far and one issue reported. Let's hear the good and the bad.

I entered the address and from the east it said you have arrived at your via point on the right. When I approached it from the west it had me make a u-turn and still said arrive on the right. The street numbers on the screen matched the destination address showing it would be on the right.

Check the street numbers as opposed to the announcement, the destination must announce the same side as the street numbers show. If the map data is wrong, the destination announcement will also be wrong.

FWIW- My maps are from the update cards. Tele Atlas, California 2008.10 [090508] running with the original hacked ezrider for 3.0.

I am running the stock maps from the Pioneer 3.02 update, which I believe are the same as what you listed above. I am running the stock ezrider, not the hacked one, so there is a difference.

I will try it with the hacked ezrider and see if that makes any difference.

More leg work on that Fry's location. It appears that when selecting the Fry's location through the POI's that it puts the destination in the middle of the east and west bound lanes. Yesterday I directly inputted the address and it announced the destination on the right. Today I selected Fry's through the POI's and it announced the location on the left. I then put Fry's as a via point and the inputted address as the destination. The via point wound up being about 180 feet ahead, but in the center of the east/west lanes. Below is a picture showing the via point flag in the center or median if there is one, and the destination flag in the center of the east bound lane. The bowling alley at 3364 E La Palma shows the flag well off the road on the right side. I haven't tried any other POI's, but it appears that direct address inputs will announce as correctly as the map data allows and the POI selections I would classify as hit or miss. I believe POI's are created by latitude/longitude entries.

post-24694-12872760089371_thumb.jpg

More leg work on that Fry's location. It appears that when selecting the Fry's location through the POI's that it puts the destination in the middle of the east and west bound lanes. Yesterday I directly inputted the address and it announced the destination on the right. Today I selected Fry's through the POI's and it announced the location on the left. I then put Fry's as a via point and the inputted address as the destination. The via point wound up being about 180 feet ahead, but in the center of the east/west lanes. Below is a picture showing the via point flag in the center or median if there is one, and the destination flag in the center of the east bound lane. The bowling alley at 3364 E La Palma shows the flag well off the road on the right side. I haven't tried any other POI's, but it appears that direct address inputs will announce as correctly as the map data allows and the POI selections I would classify as hit or miss. I believe POI's are created by latitude/longitude entries.

I did more testing today with both locations I tested saying they were on the left instead of right but both were POI searches.

Here is exactly what I did today.

1. I deleted my flaskdisk and restored from backup so that I knew it was factory again.

2. I verified my maps are the same version as yours.

3. I put the hacked ezrider on my AVIC.

4. I modified my a copy of my original sys.txt fle to add the announce info then put it on the AVIC (F7010BT).

5. I did a POI search for Pep Boys 11980 Central Ave Chino, CA 91710 and added it as my destination since I previously tested that location with a wrong side announce.

6. I added, via POI search, Carl's Jr. 5295 Holt Blvd., Montclair, CA, 91763 as a via point.

Both locations announced as on the left instead of the right.

If they are using the latitude/longitude as you suggest and sounds plausible then that is just ridiculous.

Unless someone can figure out how to change that it looks like we are screwed.

vansmack2 - I checked both of the other POI's you listed and on mine they announced destination on the right. I'm posting a link to the ca poi file of my unit. Different issues of POi files give differing results. I have read that Navteq's POI's give better accuracy than TeleAtlas. I believe mine are NavTeq issued. You can also have more than one POI file but it would in most cases list the same POI twice. I'm sticking with one.

Before you change the POI file, do a direct address input on both and see if it changes to destination on the right.

As an FYI - One of the things that prompted me to search out how to add this to our units is the announce left/right was a standard turned on feature on many GPS units with IGO. Please stop bashing this based on your results, the pluses outweigh the negative on many fronts. Pioneer short changed us on many fronts with these units. If they were not so messed up to begin with we wouldn't be here trying to improve what they deemed satisfactory for the price point. While you explore other zip's you'll find many not perfect things about them. The people here who provide their discoveries and zip's put a lot of time to share with the community. There's over 32,000 registered users on this forum as a whole, granted at least half don't visit any longer. On the F series hacks forum there are about a dozen of so people who mainly contribute, most others are seeking help to a user created problem or just want to be spoon fed all the answers. I hope that one day you'd be able to provide the community a feature that we currently don't have enabled. I'm just about done. One whole year of trying to improve this is about enough for me.

Since this thread was started, you posted your results in a few other threads as a "ToAll" denouncing that this feature is pretty much useless and flawed. Instead of bashing, how about finding a solution or help us in figuring out the limitations? You will come across a few things in every data.zip that will not be accurate 100 % of the time, for instance do not in any way use the speed camera mod. You will find alerts for camera's in your area that do not exist, and maybe the speed limit post on the alert may be wrong. Also, do not pay attention to the road speed limit. Many places it will be non-existant, others it may be off 5 or 10 mph. Turn restrictions, forget them. They worked pre 3.0 now they don't work as well. If something does not work to your expectations, remove it and move on to something else.

Here's the POI link for California. Good Luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5b41 ... d2eb488dac